Chapter 44

Caged and Guarded

Jungkook looked down into Hyunsoo’s eyes. “Why so quiet?” he asked.

Hyunsoo didn’t get a chance to reply though, because just then, the TTS gang came and stood beside them with a playful smile on their faces.

“Jungkook, why are you with her? I won’t even tell you how far out she is from your type,” Taeyeon fake gasped.

Tiffany and Seohyun laughed, while Jungkook looked at them annoyed. Hyunsoo felt herself shrink down to try hide herself.

“Get lost,” he said simply.

“Don’t be like this,” Tiffany said, pouting, “We know you’re missing a few of your weekly girls. I don’t mind, I could fill in for a few days…”

This time, Jungkook threw the tissue he was holding at their feet and said, “I’ve stopped all this. I broke up with all of them. I don’t have any weekly girls anymore and never will. Now get lost, before I get angry and do something to make you regret you ever chose this school to come to.”

Suddenly, Hoseok came out of nowhere and stood beside Hyunsoo. Jungkook stiffened immediately; TTS noticed the change of atmosphere.

“Is everything okay, Hyunsoo?” Hoseok asked, looking around at everyone.

“You shouldn’t have come here,” Seohyun started saying, “Jungkook won’t like a friend who betrayed him being anywhere nearby.”

“All three of you,” Jungkook glared at them, “Mind your own business.”

“I’m not guilty of anything,” Hoseok added after Jungkook.

Everyone looked at him, as if he was lying, except Hyunsoo.

“It’s true,” she spoke up.

Then, everyone looked at her, waiting for her to elaborate or explain herself.

“I mean, Hoseok knew everything, yes, but he never told anyone about it. I believe him.” She looked at Jungkook, addressing him, “It wasn’t him. I know, he did lots of stupid past mistakes, but this isn’t one of them. He wouldn’t go this far.”

“Of course he wouldn’t.”

As if it wasn’t dramatic enough, Hyejin had decided to make an entrance and accelerate the drama.

“I saved you from your idiot friend Hoseok,” Hyejin said to Jungkook, “And now I am planning to save you from this little girl who thinks she can make you fall for her.” She looked at Hyunsoo, and then pointed at Joy, who was not to far away from the group dressed as Tinker bell. “Jungkook, you should be with girls like Joy.”

Everyone was silent for a while. Taking in everything that had just happened in a matter of ten minutes. Hyunsoo and Hoseok glanced at each other, feeling awkward to be stuck in this kind of situation.

Jungkook sighed, clearly annoyed, and then finally said, “I choose my friends. I choose my girl. And now, I am about to choose my enemy.”

Hyejin was evidently surprised by this reply, because for a second she had no words to say. Jungkook took this chance to grab Hyunsoo and Hoseok by the arm and pull them away from the rest, leaving them stunned and angry.

The three stopped when they got to the other side of the hall, far away from TTS and Hyejin. Jungkook stood still and glared at Hoseok, as if searching for something, while Hyunsoo stood awkwardly by Hoseok’s side, wondering why Jungkook dragged her along as well. But then she realised that he saved her from those bullies and left the matter at that.

“Is that the truth?” Jungkook asked. Hoseok looked at him confused, “What Hyunsoo said?”

Hoseok nodded and said, “Yes.”

“You didn’t tell anyone?”

“No.”

“You’re… you’re still my friend?”

Hoseok looked surprised at this question. “Of course. I was always your friend.”

Jungkook smiled, but tried to hide it. Hoseok chuckled.

“Thank you.”

And then they fist bumped.

Hyunsoo rolled her eyes. Seriously? A fist Bump?

“So,” Hoseok said smiling and looked at Hyunsoo, “Where’s Jinyoung?”

Hyunsoo risked a glimpse at Jungkook and found him looking uncomfortable. “He… left.”

“What?”

Hyunsoo started telling him the conversation between her and Jinyoung. When she mentioned Jungkook, she didn’t even hesitate to cover anything from the truth. And she saw later that Jungkook had been paying just as much attention as Hoseok was to her. When Hyunsoo finished, they both looked at her for a long time before anyone spoke.

“Are you guys still together though?” Jungkook asked.

Hyunsoo shrugged. “Maybe.”

They fell silent again. There was nothing much to say on the subject.

After a while, they walked over to the food section and started eating bits of everything. It was delicious, and there were things Hyunsoo had never even tried.

“Oh, there’s Jimin!” Hoseok suddenly waved behind Hyunsoo, who turned around only to find Belle and her beast – human form – walking towards them.

This time, it was Hyunsoo’s turn to stiffen and feel uncomfortable. Jungkook noticed this.

“Hoseok, Seulgi, Let’s go,” Jungkook said, as soon as everyone’s ‘Hello’ was passed around.

When they left, Jimin and Hyunsoo were staring at each other, feeling the need to say something quickly, but not able to come up with anything good to say.

“I missed you,” they said at the same time.

For a moment, they looked at each other, and then slowly, they broke into a big grin and reached their arms out for a hug.

“I missed you Jimin,” Hyunsoo said again as they hugged, finally feeling relieved from all the stress she had since Jimin had started ignoring her.

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault… I just… I felt that you didn’t care about me anymore. I thought you always wanted to be with Jinyoung, and you forgot me.”

“That’s not true! I always wanted you with me, but… for some reason, there was never a chance for me to do something about it. Everything seemed to have changed when I started going out with Jinyoung.”

Jimin nodded sadly. “Speaking of which, where is he?”

Hyunsoo instantly started filling him in on everything from Jinyoung to Jungkook, and then to TTS and Hyejin. It felt so good to talk to Jimin again. She was finally feeling happy again. She gained back what she had lost and this time she was determined to keep it… even if it meant she had to make some changes around her…