Chapter 51

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo rubbed her as she looked up at Jimin holding down his hand to help her up.

“I knew it!” Seohyun exclaimed impatiently.

“What do you mean?” asked Tiffany.

Jimin was no longer acting dramatic. Instead, he was looking down at his book, concentrating on whatever the trio were going to say next. Hyunsoo was also listening hard, but she was more concerned about other people around them listening in. She didn’t want everyone to know about this.

“When we went camping, a question on Jungkook came up during a game we were playing,” Seohyun started explaining, “And Sohee blushed! I don’t remember exactly what the question was anymore, but I’m sure it was because she likes him!”

Taeyeon’s poker face suddenly turned into a grin. “That makes sense! She’s been trying to act all close to Jungkook recently… maybe she’s decided to try her luck?”

“I hate that girl, but I don’t care what happens here,” Tiffany said.

“Why?” Seohyun asked.

Taeyeon and Tiffany grinned. They looked back to glance at Hyunsoo slyly and broadened their grin, unable to control their expressions.

Hyunsoo and Jimin peeked at each other and made ugly faces, mimicking Tiffany and Taeyeon. They would have laughed afterwards, but they couldn’t while listening to the gossip the three girls had brought up.

It was Tiffany who controlled herself first. “There’s something going on between Hyunsoo and Jungkook. It’s so obvious.”

“Because of her Jungkook has changed. Don’t tell me you didn’t notice!” Taeyeon said, making a disappointed face at Seohyun. “He used to be the cool city guy at school, but in just a matter of a few months, he’s become some guy who just looks at the washout Hyunsoo and hangs out with other side losers.”

“It’s all going to go downhill though. Hyejin will make sure of it once she finds out what we know,” Tiffany added.

The three giggled together, while behind them, Hyunsoo and Jimin looked at each other feeling too many emotions to know what exactly they were feeling. There was an empty feeling in the pit of Hyunsoo’s stomach; she couldn’t figure out why it was there exactly, since there were too many things out of all that TTS talked about that made Hyunsoo’s stomach drop.

For the rest of the day, all Hyunsoo’s brain was filled with was Sohee, her blushing and how she acted with Jungkook. Did she have competition to deal with now? Or was there no need? Maybe Jungkook isn’t interested in Sohee at all? What if he is? She wasn’t even sure if Jungkook liked Hyunsoo. They kissed… but did that mean anything to Jungkook?

“Hey!” Someone yelled, shocking Hyunsoo out of her thoughts just in time.

Hyunsoo twisted around and found herself facing a grinning Jungkook. Speak of the devil.

“Hello,” Hyunsoo said, trying to put on a genuine smile.

“Jimin is talking to a teacher, so he’ll be a while.”

Hyunsoo nodded. She wanted to ask him about Sohee without making it obvious. What could she say?

“How come you didn’t come talk to me at all during the day?” Jungkook asked, making a sad face.

Hyunsoo looked taken aback. “What? I- oh, sorry.”

“Are you okay?” He wasn’t smiling anymore.

“Yeah, I was just thinking about something.”

“Care to share?” Jungkook had his eyebrows raised now. “Thinking about me, I bet?”

Hyunsoo smiled and decided to play along for the first time. “Yeah, actually.

Jungkook puked jokingly. “Wow, okay. I’m flattered, but sorry… no thank you Hyuny.”

Hyunsoo made a shocked face and started hitting him on the side playfully. “What the hell even is Hyuny?”

“I came up with it just now! Why? You no like?”

“Whatever. I need to ask you something seriously now,” Hyunsoo said, deciding that this might be a better time than any other to bring the matter up.

“My ears are all yours,” Jungkook replied, which made Hyunsoo go red but she continued talking.

“Sohee has been acting weird recently… and, there’s been some gossip going around, but I’m not sure exactly what it’s about. I just wanted to ask, have you noticed anything different or unusual about Sohee?”

“You jealous?”

“What? Jungkook!”

He laughed. “Kidding!” Hyunsoo waited with her arms folded. “No, I haven’t noticed anything unusual or different or any other not normal word.”

She looked surprised. “Are you sure?”

Jungkook nodded.

Hyunsoo had been wondering earlier whether he would bring up the art lesson with her, but it seemed clear now that he wouldn’t. It looked like he wanted to steer the conversation away, and she was proved to be right a few seconds later.

“Are you sure you’re okay? You looked stressed,” he said, looking a little worried, “Don’t worry Christmas holidays are coming up soon, and then it’s just the test results we have to wait for when we come back.”

“That makes me more stressed, Jungkook. I forgot about the test… thanks to you, I’ll be worrying about it all holiday now!” Hyunsoo said, acting grumpy.

“I’ll make you forget.”

For some reason, those words brought back the kiss from last night into her mind, and she started blushing.

“Did you think I just said something ? Because believe me I didn’t mean to…” Jungkook said with a straight face, but Hyunsoo knew he was teasing her for blushing now. “What are you blushing about? I’d like to see the kind of thoughts that go through your head.”

He was smirking and ruffled Hyunsoo’s hair, who in return tried to mess up his hair as well. Just then, Jimin was walking back towards them with a grin.

“Am I missing out?” Jimin asked.

Jungkook and Hyunsoo just laughed and ran to mess his hair up.