Chapter 39

Caged and Guarded

The wait for Saturday to come didn’t last long for Hyunsoo. Most of the time she was kept busy, helping Hoseok plan his move on Jungkook, who often joked with her and Jimin that it felt as if he was planning on becoming Jungkook’s lover. They were deciding on many things together, but Hoseok never settled on a plan and seemed too afraid to do something.

When Saturday finally came, Hyunsoo woke up thinking immediately about the date with Jinyoung. She had to go work at the art shop until 3 pm today, before she could return and get ready for the date at 6 pm. It felt as if she had barely enough time to prepare for her first ever date. Still, Hyunsoo got up and quickly left for work, keeping the date thoughts at the back of her mind for now.

“Hyunsoo!” Jiyong came and hugged her.

“Hey,” Minhyuk joined.

“Hi!” JYP screamed happily and ran towards the group, hugging everyone.

This all being normal behaviour, Hyunsoo laughed and hugged everyone back. She loved her workplace, and thought she was lucky to have found a friendly place to spend time at. The reason she first came here was to escape from her father… but now, she didn’t want to leave them and decided to stay on and work.

Her job helped her become more independent and grow confident when dealing with people. Although she was still quite shy, she was getting better at talking to people every day. Jiyong and Minhyuk played a part in her confidence as well. They talked, laughed, gossiped, helped and advised. Today, they watched Hyunsoo as she worked. They could read her nervousness.

“Hyunsoo, are you alright? Is this something to do with the Jungkook you used to mention?” Minhyuk said.

Hyunsoo flushed. She had complained about Jungkook many times to both her colleagues, and brought him up whenever he became relevant. “No, it’s nothing to do with him…”

“What is it then?” he asked, eyeing Jiyong to join him.

“It’s just…” It was too embarrassing to tell them.

“Is it a boy?” Jiyong asked, “I see it in your eyes.”

Minhyuk stared at Jiyong, then turned to Hyunsoo, “Is something happening? Good or bad?”

Good or bad? Hyunsoo thought, and suddenly blushed.

Unfortunately, Jiyong noticed this and said excitedly, “It’s good and it’s something to do with a boy! Look at her face!”

They both smiled at Hyunsoo. It was the type of smile that made people feel like your secrets were out in the open like a book. So by the end of Hyunsoo’s shift at work, she had told everything that happened between Jinyoung and her, as well as what was going to happen tonight.

“I’m just so nervous… I don’t know if it’s because this is my first date or because… because Jinyoung is taking me.”

They were putting on their coats in the backroom of the shop.

“I think it’s the first date feels,” Minhyuk said.

“No, that can’t be. For my first date, I felt nothing, because the girl I was taking practically begged me for the date.” Jiyong shook his head.

Minhyuk scoffed. “That’s different.”

Jiyong ignored Minhyuk and focused on Hyunsoo. “You’re feeling like this because you like Jinyoung.”

Hyunsoo looked at them in turn, confused whether to believe Minhyuk or Jiyong. “We’ll just see what happens…”

They walked to the office area, saying goodbye to everyone, before walking outside and waving each other off.

“Have fun,” Minhyuk said, as he left to walk the opposite direction from her.

“Hope you realise quickly you like him,” Jiyong winked as he left for the car park, where his parents were picking him up as usual.

Hyunsoo went home feeling as confused about her feelings as ever. How was she supposed to know she liked someone? What happens to you? Is it just nervousness that she was feeling? Or was it something different? Hyunsoo felt as if she was feeling too many things at once. It was hard to figure out when everything was tangled up together.

As soon as she got home, Hyunsoo went to her wardrobe and searched for something to wear. She remembered Jinyoung telling her that it could be casual. Was that a tip? Was he taking her somewhere that wasn’t suitable for a dress? To play it safe, she could wear shorts but wouldn’t that be cold? She could wear tights with it… and boots. Wait, no. That’s not date appropriate, was it? Hyunsoo didn’t know what to do. What are you even supposed to wear to a date?

In the end, and mainly because Hyunsoo felt more comfortable in this, she wore tights with the black boots she was contemplating on wearing, and a black dress top. She felt happy in this, but what if she wore the wrong things? Hyunsoo hoped for the best anyway and quickly picked out her black coat to wear on top. Next, she put on light make up and briefly set her hair to look a little wavy.

She breathed out loudly and looked at the time. Four minutes left. She made it… time really does fly quickly.

“Hyunsoo?”

“Come in!” Hyunsoo said.

Her mum walked in smiling at the sight of her daughter. “Are you ready?”

Hyunsoo nodded, feeling shy.

“I’m so happy for you! Your first date!” she squealed.

“Mum! Pretend I know what I’m doing, please. I’m so nervous…”

“Of course, dear. I’m just so… I was so worried before, but now I’m just so happy. It’s so overwhelming you know. Everything is happening to fast, and it’s hard to keep up sometimes.”

Hyunsoo nodded. She knew exactly what her mum was talking about. In fact, Hyunsoo herself was feeling this.

“But let’s forget about that for now,” her mum waved her arms, as if shooing someone, “I can’t wait to meet him. I just wish you brought him over earlier so I could talk and get to know him for you…”

“Mum!”

“Alright! Sorry!”

They laughed. It was a typical mother and daughter moment, but it was nice.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and Hyunsoo sprang to her feet.

“I’ll go,” her mum said and left to beat Hyunsoo to the door.

Hyunsoo was at the bottom of the stairs when her mum opened the door and greeted Jinyoung.