Chapter 56

Caged and Guarded

It was during lunchtime when Jinyoung came to the library and found Hyunsoo sitting on a table by herself, working on her late homework. She had been busy procrastinating, so couldn’t finish most of her homework in time… as usual.

“Hey!” Jinyoung said, waving at Hyunsoo.

Hyunsoo looked up. “Oh, hello Jinyoung.” She felt an awkward feeling in the pit of her stomach.

“How’s your work going?” he asked, smiling as he sat opposite Hyunsoo.

“It’s okay…”

There was an awkward silence. Hyunsoo remembered all the times they spent together. Everything changed so fast…

Hyunsoo was about to try and put more effort in the lost conversation by asking him about his test results, when suddenly, she noticed Jungkook walking into the library and noticing her and Jinyoung sitting on the same table. She shut her eyes for a few second to take in this sudden dramatic situation she was dragged into.

“Hey guys,” Jungkook said coolly as he sat next Hyunsoo, facing Jinyoung.

Hyunsoo smiled and Jinyoung lost his smile.

“Hi,” Jinyoung said simply. “Hyunsoo, do you need any help with your work?”

“Actually, Jinyoung, she called me here to help her, so you can leave now,” Jungkook said calmly.

Hyunsoo hadn’t really called Jungkook to the library; he had just found her.

“I’m writing an easy essay and I think I can finish it off by myself. Why don’t you guys go enjoy your lunch instead?” Hyunsoo didn’t want to cause drama in the library so she thought it best to get them out of here, since she knew something would happen if she was in between.

“Well, I’ll see you later at homeroom then,” Jinyoung stood up and smiled sadly. He looked like he was contemplating about something in his head, when suddenly, he said, “Sorry,” and left.

Jungkook glared at him until he couldn’t see him anymore. “He better not come back.”

Hyunsoo was also staring after Jinyoung, but in a sad way.

Sorry…

“Well, I’m not going to stay and help you because,” Jungkook made a disgusted face as he looked at Hyunsoo’s essay, “Me and essay don’t go well together… bleuuurrgh!”

“Seriously? You just wanted to annoy Jinyoung.”

Jungkook gasped. “You knew?” He changed his expression to a smirk, “Well, of course… anyway, I’m gonna go play basketball with my friends. Meet me there if you finish early before lunch ends.”

Hyunsoo nodded and waved, before getting back to writing her stupid essay – which was in fact hard.

 

Hyunsoo did manage to finish in time to see Jungkook for ten minutes before lunch ended. She quickly put her book away and left the library to go to the basketball court in the playground area.

When she saw the guys still playing basketball, she couldn’t help but start smiling, because amidst all the players, was Jimin playing basketball on Jungkook’s team.

“Jimin!” Hyunsoo shouted and clapped.

Jimin turned and grinned, making a fist in the air. Jungkook noticed this, and stood beside Jimin putting both his fists in the air.

“Hey, you guys! Pay attention! We’re just a few points from winning this game!” Hoseok shouted as he passed the basketball to another guy, whom Hyunsoo didn’t recognise.

The unknown guy then ran forward while dribbling the ball and passed it on to Heechul (!?) who scored the team some more points.

After the game ended – Jungkook’s team lost since he was too occupied showing off during the game – everyone was resting on the benches and drinking water before the bell ran for the start of another lesson.

“That was a good game!” said the opposite team happily.

Heechul growled at him.

“Calm down Heechul,” the unidentified guy said, patting Heechul’s back.

“That’s Namjoon, Heechul’s best friend. Stop staring at him so intently,” Jungkook whispered to Hyunsoo.

“What, I wasn’t staring!”

“Uh, yes you were.”

“I was only looking because I haven’t seen him before,” Hyunsoo said.

“Well, I’m not surprised. Everyone hardly sees him, except his sports team of course. He is the best player in every sport available at this school. He’s in so many sport clubs, so he’s always taking leave to play for tournaments and stuff.”

“Oh, how does he study then?”

“I don’t know! Do I look like Mr. I know the whole school and their business?”

“Well, you were acting like it a few seconds ago!”

“Hey hey! Stop fighting you two! What kind of couple are you?” Heechul said staring at them, then his eyes turned crazy, “You need a weapon first!”

Hyunsoo and Jungkook stared at him.

“What?” he asked, looking normal again.

“Ignore him,” Namjoon said, “His sister makes him crazier than he already is.”

“Sister?” Hyunsoo said.

“Yeah, Hyejin, Heechul’s sister.”

Everyone turned their heads towards Heechul at the same time, eyes looking as if they were on the verge of exploding.

“Hyejin is Heechul’s sister? What!” Jungkook looking at Heechul and Namjoon in turn, as if he were unsure they were playing a joke on him.

“You didn’t know?” Heechul asked, as if he just announced something as small as he liked cats.

Everyone else shouted. “No!”