Chapter 30

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo felt her heart lift up, as she saw Jungkook smirking to himself again like he normally did. He popped a chocolate button into his mouth and side-smirked at Hyunsoo, trying to show off his coolness. Hyunsoo was acting like she usually would have; she gave him an annoyed cold look and turned her attention away. However, inside she was feeling blissful, like a flower had bloomed from her heart and out to every part of her body.

Deep down, Jungkook was also feeling somewhat happier - he didn’t realise it himself though. He felt a burden come off his shoulder, but there was still something there…

“About Jinyoung, I just want to know… what did he say exactly?”

The question came as a surprise to Hyunsoo. She looked at him nervously, and then faced the front again. “He, uhm, just asked me out on a date,” she said, “How long do you think the rest of the journey is?”

“Tell me everything.”

“Why do you want to know?” For some reason, she didn’t want to think about Jinyoung at all. She wanted to focus on the present - where she was now.

Jungkook didn’t have to say much more. He gave her a simple look. It was enough to set Hyunsoo off, telling him whatever Jinyoung had said to her. She told Jungkook just as she had told Jimin. When she was done, Jungkook was just staring into Hyunsoo’s eyes, looking as if he was searching for something, though Hyunsoo had no idea what that something could be. She was too busy feeling stupid that she ended up telling Jungkook everything herself. Jimin had overheard, he was looking at Hyunsoo wide eyes, but Hyunsoo tried not to meet his eyes.

After a while, Jungkook stopped searching her eyes and started smiling at her. Just then, the teacher called for everyone to prepare himself or herself, the journey was coming to an end… and so was the mutual happiness that Jungkook and Hyunsoo had felt together. They didn’t have to say it, they were both feeling happier with each other than they ever did before. Hyunsoo couldn’t avoid admitting this. Though the feeling was quickly broken when Jungkook said–

“You want to become one of my weekly girls, don’t you?” He was smirking.

Hyunsoo did a double take on his face, before turning away. “What the hell Jungkook… why would I want to waste my life on you?”

He chuckled. “You’ll come one day… just wait, and Jinyoung won’t be a problem. It’s me you really want.”

“What? How can you say that?” Hyunsoo was more curious than anything else. It was as if Jungkook was expecting Jinyoung and Hyunsoo not to work out together at all.

Unfortunately, Hyunsoo never found out what Jungkook was really thinking, because at that exact moment, the coach had finally arrived in front of the school and everyone awoke with a buzz. It became too loud in mere seconds; Jimin had taken Hyunsoo by the arm and was trying to get out first with her. It wasn’t long before they had all their bags back together and were walking down the road to the bus stop.

“Feels like it’s been ages since we left. The camping trip was more like a survival of the fittest test!” Jimin was saying, as he got on the bus with Hyunsoo.

“I know, they made us work for food and do tough activities!” Hyunsoo exclaimed, “But there were loads of fun moments too.”

“Like when Jinyoung asked you out?” Jimin was grinning.

Hyunsoo had genuinely forgotten about the date, even though Jungkook had mentioned it many times during the journey. Still, she said, “Oh yeah.”

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Your voice just kind of changed when I mentioned Jinyoung.”

“Oh, sorry I was just–“

She was going to say ‘thinking’, but the word got caught in hallway up as she gaped out the window of the bus.

Jimin had pressed the stop button to be able to get off in front of Hyunsoo’s house. However, the bus had to move further ahead, because a car had already occupied the space in front of the house. Hyunsoo nearly ran out when getting off the bus and quickly hid behind one of the parked cars, pulling Jimin with her and making sure they were blocked from her father’s view.

Her father was just coming home now. He was unlocking the door, while looking around cautiously as if looking out for someone who might be looking for him. A few seconds later, he stepped inside and slammed the door shut behind him. Hyunsoo imagined him locking the door quickly and turning to face the kitchen, looking for Hyunsoo. However, like the past few weeks, he would be unable to find Hyunsoo and would end up taking his anger out on something else. Hyunsoo had managed to avoid running into her father for nearly a whole month now. It was scary hiding all the time, but her mum helped her mostly.

“I think it’s time to put our climbing skills to test,” Jimin said, looking up at Hyunsoo’s bedroom window. There was a flat roof area underneath the window. If only they could get themselves on the roof… “Over here!”

Hyunsoo followed Jimin to the side of the house and realised quickly what Jimin was going to try. “Jimin, it doesn’t look too safe… maybe, you shouldn’t try it.”

“Shut it, we have to get you up safely without your dad noticing. Come on, cooperate with me!”

Hyunsoo had no choice but to agree. She had to get inside somehow. She helped lift Jimin up on the big black bins, who then grabbed Hyunsoo’s hand and pulled her up quickly. On their side was an extension building, which had a smaller height than the rest of the house, so Hyunsoo and Jimin were able to jump up and crawl to the landing quite easily – if they didn’t mind getting splinters and some cuts.

Hyunsoo glanced up at the flat roof on the building joined next to the one she was standing on, and then turned to Jimin. “I’ll take it from here. It’ll be harder getting back down, so you shouldn’t come up any further.”

“Are you sure?” he looked at Hyunsoo worriedly, who gave him a quick confident nod in response. “Okay, you go on, but I’ll watch you until you get into your bedroom.”

Hyunsoo was touched, but didn’t want to waste Jimin’s time either, so she turned quickly to face the roof again and hitched up her backpack. This was the hardest part. There was no space to run for a good jump. She would have to do so without the running. Hyunsoo took a nervous deep breath and stepped forward in a jump, then jumped again higher this time, landing her hand on the edge of the roof.

“Yes!” Jimin half shouted. He quickly pushed Hyunsoo’s legs up to stand on top of his shoulders.

“Thanks!”

“Hurry! I’m dying already!”

Hyunsoo gave a light laugh, and then pulled herself upon the roof, landing on the floor face down. She got up quickly in time to see Jimin throwing her small suitcase on the roof. It landed right on the edge, nearly toppling over. Hyunsoo quickly reached for it and pulled it towards her, away from the edge.

“Thanks again! You should definitely go now!”

“If you’re sure… okay, bye! Look after yourself!” Jimin waved, as he jumped back down.

Hyunsoo opened the window (luckily, she always kept it open for fresh air) and pushed her backpack and the suitcase through. Next, she pushed herself up too and through the window. She was very exhausted by then and fell straight into her cold bed. However, at that moment, her phone buzzed alerting Hyunsoo of an incoming text.

Why the window? Why not the front door?

Hyunsoo looked at the number. Whoever it was, wasn’t saved on Hyunsoo’s contacts… but there was only one person running through Hyunsoo’s mind. Only one person who lived so close to Hyunsoo, to have seen her climb up to her window.