Chapter 17

Caged and Guarded

Jungkook could do nothing but glare at Jinyoung. His grandma had forced a dinner invitation on Jinyoung that he couldn't refuse.

"Come sit down," she was saying happily, "I've prepared a special feast for you both!"

"Grandma, he doesn't-"

"Oh shush Jungkook, this isn't how you should treat our guests!" She turned to Jinyoung, "Come sit here." She pointed at the seat opposite from Jungkook and next to her.

As they started on their dinner, Jinyoung felt all eyes on him as he took the first bite.

"How is it?"

"Very good." Jinyoung replied kindly.

Jungkook snorted, "Better be, idiot."

"Jungkook!" His grandma slapped his arm slightly.

"Grandma!"

Jinyoung laughed silently. He never knew Jungkook had this side to him. Though he was curious about his parents...

"Jungkook, where are you parents?"

They suddenly fell silent. No one spoke for a bit, until grandma answered, "He doesn't live with them. Don't ask anymore questions please." She had very kind eyes but her voice made it clear, not to push the subject further.

Jungkook stopped glaring and kept his gaze away from anywhere near Jinyoung. Maybe Jinyoung crossed the line by asking.

It was very late by the time Jinyoung was free to go. After dinner, Jungkook's grandma kept talking to him about school and how Jungkook was at school. He could see how worried she was, so he said good things, suprising Jungkook himself. Afterwards, grandma made Jungkook go outside and say goodbye to his 'friend' properly.

"It's okay. Just go back." Jinyoung said.

"Shut up and walk, girl." Jungkook looked softer to deal with somehow, than at school.

They walked for a minute in silence, before Jungkook stopped and said, "Don't tell anyone, please..."

Jinyoung smiled, "Of course, you didn't think I'd run in to school and shout it out right?"

Jungkook pushed him from the shoulders, but very lightly. "Shut up. I still hate you."

Jinyoung sighed an agreement and they continued to walk. After another minute:

"How did you get close to Hyunsoo?" Jungkook blurted out.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean? You jealous?"

"Does she like you or something? She's like a leech or something... stupid girl..."

"I don't understand you, honestly. You say things that make me think you care, but then you get rude."

"Who said I care? She's just a toy. Girls are all toys... to play around with when you're bored."

"She is not a toy." Jinyoung said with much emphasis put on 'not'. "And if I were you, I'd stop this nonesense with these weekly girls you're keeping."

"Shut up. Go home yourself. I'm not your boyfriend." Jungkook suddenly turned and left.

"Bye!" Jinyoung yelled, making Jungkook look at him annoyed.

Jinyoung didn't see however, the smile Jungkook hid from him as he left to go back home.

What he also didn't see was Hyunsoo standing on the other side of the road watching them... until she yelled out.

"Jinyoung!"

He turned around. "Hyunsoo? What are you doing here?"

"I live here. I saw you with Jungkook. Is everything alright?"

"Ah, that lucky bastard... gets to live across you. Yeah, everything is fine."

She turned just in time to see Jungkook go into his house. She looked at Jinyoung, "What are you doing here?"

Realising in a flash how he ended up here, he surpressed a smile. "Just, uh, wandering around..."

He didn't want to tell her his feelings... he wasn't sure of them himself.

"Oh, well guess where I was!" She said happily.

Hyunsoo told him everything about the job at the art shop, the people she met and worked with and how she was happy to be doing something to keep her confidence level going up.

They talked for a long while after that, walking around in circles. It was nothing special. They were bringing any random subject up and getting to know eachother's interests. Later, they said their goodbyes and left to go home.

Sunday flew by quickly for Hyunsoo: going to work, coming back for dinner and doing homework. She ended up calling Jimin later, telling him what happened with Jinyoung and how she saw him with Jungkook, as well as how work was.

She only realised when going to sleep, how social she had been lately. More than usual anyway.