Chapter 12

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo had only been at Jimin's house for a few minutes when she suddenly received a text from her mum, telling her to come out for her stuff.

"Enjoy yourself tonight and don't do anything stupid," her mum was saying, as she handed Hyunsoo a bag.

"You too. I hope- wait a minute," Hyunsoo realised quickly what her mum meant, "Mum! He's my friend!"

"Yes, well, I have to hurry back now. Otherwise I would have come in to meet this Jimin," she laughed and sent her away, waving.

"Bye!" Hyunsoo waved back and went inside.

"What shall we do first Hyunsoo?" Jimin asked, as soon as she came back in, "I absolutely just love sleepovers! But some guys in middle school made fun of me for ever suggesting things like that. Anyway, I have so much to do with you!"

Hyunsoo laughed slightly, then said, "This is my first sleepover, so I'm not sure what we can do..."

Jimin's eyes widened, "Girl! This will be the best experience that ever happened to you!"

Just then, Jimin's mum came from the kitchen smiling at Hyunsoo, "Hello dear, Jimin tells me you're his best friend. He doesn't usually make friends this quickly."

"Oh, but he acted as my friend from the moment I met him," Hyunsoo chuckled.

Jimin looked embarrassed, then said, "Mum, go away."

Hyunsoo turned to Jimin, "You should be nicer!"

He shrugged and gestured to go upstairs.

While following him up, Hyunsoo asked, "So, are you an only child like me?"

"Yup, we loners are so awesome, aren't we?" They laughed together.

The day flew quickly into the night, as they played many games, watched scary movies and ate whatever they could find edible. Hyunsoo and Jimin felt they definitely knew more about each other than before. Hyunsoo had realised that Jimin was not much different from her. Maybe that was why they got along so quickly. He was more confident, but he was the same as Hyunsoo.

Soon, Hyunsoo and Jimin were tired enough to finally go to sleep. Though neither of them, no matter how tired they were, could fall asleep right away.

"Hyunsoo, are you still awake?"

"Mmh."

"I can't sleep. Let's just talk."

"But then I won't be tired anymore!"

"Really? Talking will make me even more tired so that I can sleep."

Hyunsoo smiled to herself, "Let's talk then..."

"Hey, I have a question. I don't mean to upset you, but... when did your dad start acting like this? Or has it always been like this? I just don't like how you're treated... your mum seems nice. I saw you two from my window."

Hyunsoo stayed silent for a while before answering, "He's been like this for as long as I can remember, but it's been getting worse recently..."

This time, Jimin went silent for a bit. "You can always come over to visit me... whenever you want."

"I hate him. I wish me and my mum could just pack and leave... if it was easy enough to do that, I would really consider telling my mum into doing just that."

"Consider? Girl, I would pack your bags and find your new home all by myself."

"You know, you're the first person, other than my mum, to know how my dad is really like."

"I can't believe people don't listen to you and your mum. They should take a good look at your injuries and investigate. By the way, how's your bruise? Doesn't hurt I hope."

"It's fine. Hopefully it'll go away soon."

"Hey, we should do something cool on a weekend!"

"Like what?"

"Like, like paintballing! Or go carting! Anything cool so we can talk about it in school!"

"What are we going to do? Walk into homeroom like, aye Jimin that go carting place was the best!"

They both started laughing.

"Jimin! Hyunsoo! Go to sleep! If you wanted a late night talk session, you shouldn't have chosen to have your sleepover on a school night!" Jimin's mum called from the next room.

"Sorry!" Jimin replied loudly, then said to Hyunsoo, "We should really sleep now. Goodnight."

"Night."

 

It was finally a Friday. Hyunsoo had never been so happy to see the weekend coming, especially when it was time for homeroom.

"Alright everyone, we have planned a very special trip coming soon! The details are on these." The teacher was saying, holding up forms to be filled.