Chapter 20

Caged and Guarded

It was finally Friday, the day of the trip and everyone going had to be waiting outside the school at 9am. Hyunsoo and Jimin had planned to meet at the bus stop to go together as always. However, Hyunsoo had overslept and had only half an hour to get ready and run out the door. In the end, it took her nearly the whole half hour, but she came outside just in time to see the bus coming and Jimin waving at her to run for it. It was nearly impossible to run for the bus, considering she had a big rucksack on her back and was holding a small suitcase for the two nights stay. Still, running as much as she could without toppling the suitcase over, she made it to the bus and paid.

“That was close! I thought you were going to be late!” Jimin was saying as they sat down into their seats.

“Me? What about you?”

“Of course not me, you thought I would miss the bus for you? No way.” He was laughing. Hyunsoo laughed along, since she knew it was a joke.

The journey felt quicker than usual – maybe because this time they were actually excited to get to school – and when their stop finally came, they both scrambled around to get their bags together and leave the bus without hitting anyone with the suitcases.

Most people from their homeroom were already standing outside school with their suitcases. Their homeroom teacher was also there with a suitcase of his own and a sheet of paper, which Hyunsoo guessed was some kind of register for attendance to the trip.

“Let’s go sign in,” Hyunsoo said, pointing at the teacher.

Jimin nodded and went with her to tick their names. It wasn’t long before everyone else had arrived and also ticked their names. They all looked excited to go and take a break from school, and they should be, because as soon as they get back, there were a few tests and assignments waiting for them to be completed.

“The coach is here!” Eunhyuk suddenly shouted.

Everyone looked at where Eunhyuk had pointed and started jumping around with excitement, including Hyunsoo and Jimin. Though in contrast, Jungkook and Hoseok were both looking miserable.

“I hate nature.” Jungkook kept muttering. And Hoseok kept nodding in return.

Hyunsoo hadn’t spoken to Jungkook properly since that day when he forced her to walk home together. Hyunsoo also hadn’t gotten a chance to speak to Jinyoung properly since he confessed to liking her.

After everyone was done putting their baggage away in the coach, the homeroom teacher suddenly called them all to him for an announcement.

“Before we board the coach, I want to pair you all up with someone who you may not talk to. This is to bring you closer to your classmates and get to know each other. The whole point of this trip is to bond, as it has been only a month and a bit since you started your first year in a new school.”

Everyone’s reaction to this wasn’t the best, because they all knew that the teacher had been watching them in homeroom to see whom they sit with, talk to and get along with. It wasn’t going to be the greatest journey if Hyunsoo was seated with Jungkook.

“I’ll read out the pairs and when your name is called, go inside to sit with your partner. Hyejin and Heechul!” The teacher said loudly, “Donghae and Eunhyuk!”

One by one, people started leaving the crowd to get on the coach with their partner. Some people were happy, some… not so happy.

“Jimin and Jungkook!”

Hyunsoo looked at Jimin in sympathy, who returned a horrified look.

“Kill me now,” Jimin whispered before moving away.

“Jinyoung and Sohee!”

Hyunsoo looked over to where Jinyoung was standing. They made eye contact and smiled at each other. Then, he went to greet Sohee and get on the coach.

“Seulgi and Hyunsoo!”

Finally it was Hyunsoo’s turn. Seulgi wasn’t a bad choice for a coach partner. At least she wasn’t in Jimin’s shoes, but she was sure Jimin had wanted to be in Hyunsoo’s shoes, especially for Seulgi.

“Hello!” She smiled.

“Hi! Jimin told me you were his best friend! We will probably get along really quickly then.” Seulgi laughed.

They got on the coach and found two empty seats by the side in front of Jinyoung and Sohee. Seulgi had taken the window seat, so across from Hyunsoo was Heechul.

“Hi everyone!” Seulgi greeted brightly.

Hyunsoo was feeling a little shy from the number of people, but she smiled and waved ‘Hello’. She was a little more concerned about Jimin and where he was sitting, but after looking around, she realised they were seated in front of Heechul and Hyejin.

“Hello!” someone shook Hyunsoo’s shoulder suddenly.

She looked ahead and found that it was Donghae who had turned around from his seat.

“Hey, I’m Hyunsoo.”

“I know who you are. I mean, just because you’re shy doesn’t mean no one knows you,” he was laughing, “Nice to meet you anyway.” Then he turned back.

“Don’t mind Donghae,” Seulgi said, “He and his twin Lay are always like that.”

Hyunsoo nodded and smiled. “I’m just feeling a little nervous about the trip, but I’m also excited.”

“Yeah, me too. I can’t wait to get there though!”

All of a sudden Hyunsoo started hearing angry shouts from across her.

“Shut up and relax!” Heechul was shouting.

“I need to fix my make up!” It was Hyejin.

“No one cares what you look like! We’re going camping anyway, so put this stuff away! It stinks and you’re disturbing my peace!”

“Urgh! Why did I end up sitting with you of all people?”

“I’ve been asking myself this since he called our names!!”

Hyunsoo rolled her eyes. It was going to be a long journey this one.