Chapter 52

Caged and Guarded

The next day at school, it was the first time that Jungkook and Hyunsoo were talking to each other during their math lesson relating to the kiss they had shared.

They both hadn’t stopped thinking about it and acting cool didn’t help. Jungkook brought the subject up first, he had decided to be bold and talk to Hyunsoo about what he had in mind. Hyunsoo was only too delighted to finally share her feelings as well, and not having to bottle up what she was thinking since the kiss.

“If I kissed you, would you accept it again?” Jungkook asked, making sure people around them couldn’t hear. He wanted to know whether that night happened because of the rush of emotions at the time or if the kiss was real.

Hyunsoo could hear her heart beating as if it was in her ear. “I would,” she answered simply, trying to stop herself from looking away from Jungkook’s face.

“Then, will you be my every day girl?” he asked. He couldn’t help being nervous, although he wanted to be his cool self.

This time, Hyunsoo couldn’t stop herself from grinning. “Yes, I’d love that.”

They both beamed at each other, and Jungkook reached his hand out to hold Hyunsoo’s hand. However, just then, Hyejin walked into the classroom. She apologised for being late and then walked right past Hyunsoo’s side of the desk, kicking her bag down. As Hyunsoo bent down to pick it up again, she glanced back to see Hyejin sitting down behind her and Jungkook, next to Jieun.

“Ignore the cow face, she’s not worth the energy,” Jungkook whispered, and then looked back to glare at Hyejin.

Hyunsoo nodded, but it was close to impossible to smile again, especially when Hyejin started talking.

“Jieun, have you heard? Sohee has a huge crush on Jungkook!” she exclaimed loudly.

Hyunsoo shut her eyes in annoyance and then peeked at Jungkook’s reaction, but his face was so straight there seemed to be no emotion in him. She knew he had heard though, so he was probably listening for what she would say next.

“Jungkook…” Hyunsoo said, but didn’t know how she was continuing the sentence.

“Don’t worry about Hyejin,” Jungkook said, smiling at Hyunsoo, and then he began working on his math work.

Hyunsoo felt her heart drop from her ears down to her feet. Everything was great until Hyejin came in. They were talking happily about each other, until the ‘cow face’ interrupted the mood.

Hyunsoo sighed and took out her phone, keeping it out of sight from the teacher. She sighed again and tapped on ‘Kookie’ to send a text. She thought for a while and typed one word in.

Idiot.

It was as if this was all she could think of to say to Jungkook at this moment. She took out all her emotions on this one word and sent the text. Why she texted him like that, even she didn’t know. It was the first thing that came to mind to do.

Jungkook had his phone in his pocket and felt it vibrate immediately. He took it out, just as Hoseok came over to talk to Jungkook.

“Who’s ‘stupid’?” Hoseok asked, peering down from Jungkook’s shoulder.

Hyunsoo looked confused, and checked the text from Jungkook’s other shoulder.

Idiot. – Stupid

Hyunsoo’s mouth dropped open. “You named me ‘Stupid’?”

“Yeah, I think it defines your mentality,” Jungkook answered, smirking.

Hoseok started laughing and smacked Jungkook’s back. Hyunsoo pulled her tongue out at both of them and then turned away to work on her math work, ignoring the giggling next to her.

“I need to find Sohee later… maybe, if it’s true, I could help her,” Hyejin said loudly.

Hyunsoo, Jungkook and Hoseok all sighed at the same time, giving each other the look of frustration.

“Someone get a hoover. We need to clean out the skunks in this school,” Jungkook muttered under his breath.

Both Hyunsoo and Hoseok heard, so they started giggling again. Hyejin heard and started talking loudly about other things she has to do or what she thinks of Sohee and Jungkook. Hyunsoo rolled her eyes and tried to suppress the urge to spin around and punch Hyejin in the face.

In that exact moment, Hyunsoo realised something and remembered Jungkook telling her how she had changed. The old Hyunsoo wouldn’t have thought about that, she wouldn’t even have the guts to look at Hyejin. Hyunsoo smiled, catching Jungkook looking at her, who smiled back at her.

 

Hyunsoo was walking to meet Jimin at the next lesson, when someone called out her name through the crowd of other students.

“Hello,” Hyunsoo said, trying not to act awkward.

“Hey, how have you been?” Jinyoung asked, and then added, “Haven’t spoken to you since… ages.”

“Yeah, I’m good. You?”

“Good. Good.” It was awkward. “So, I wanted to tell you, that I’m still your friend, even after all that happened. I guess I got carried away and forgot everything. I’m sorry.”

Hyunsoo smiled. “It’s okay, nothing to worry about.”

“I like Sohee now.”

“It’s fin– what?” Hyunsoo said the last word loudly in shock. It was the last thing she would except to hear from Jinyoung’s mouth. “Sohee?”

“Yeah, why? Is there something…”

“No, no, I’m just… surprised…” She was more than just simply surprised.

“Oh, well, I’ve been noticing her just recently, so I might wait to see what happens first. I hope you don’t tell anyone about this just yet.”

Hyunsoo nodded, thinking about Jimin.

“I also hope everything is back to normal between us,” he said, smiling and nodding his head. “Well, I’ll see you later then. bye!”

“See you later!” Hyunsoo said, waving, and then turned around and let the shock and surprise cover her face.

Just then, an idea popped into her head. Sohee likes Jungkook, Jungkook likes Hyunsoo (she blushed) and Jinyoung likes Sohee. What if Jinyoung can somehow end up with Sohee? What would make everything better! She had to discuss this with Jimin first, and share her ideas on this.