Chapter 67

Caged and Guarded

It had already been 15 minutes and he hadn’t come back, leaving Hyunsoo and Jungkook to wait in an empty classroom.

“What’s taking him so long?” Hyunsoo said, leaning against the wall.

Jungkook was leaning on the wall right next to Hyunsoo. “Let’s ditch him.”

“What? No!”

“Joking. I was joking,” he said, chuckling, and while doing so, he twisted around and hugged Hyunsoo from the side.

Just then Sohee walked into the classroom. Hyunsoo and Jungkook jumped apart.

“Wow,” Jungkook said, “Uh, Sohee what the hell are you doing back here?”

Sohee put on an apologetic face. “Oh, I’m sorry. I just remembered something and needed to ask you. I was wondering if you’d like to come over my house to continue the research part of the project we have to do?”

“Uh, sure,” Jungkook answered, “When? Today?”

Sohee looked surprised at glanced at Hyunsoo’s face, who kept a blank expression.

“Sure, today would be good. Come in the evening,” she said, and then smiled and walked out.

Hyunsoo looked at Jungkook. “I know what you’re thinking.”

Jungkook smirked. “Good.”

 

Sohee had managed to make her parents leave the house for a little restaurant date for the first time in a while, so the house was empty. She even cleaned up her room and put on some nice clothes for this little ‘research project meeting’. Sohee didn’t actually expect Jungkook to turn up at her house 6pm later than day. Though, she did not expect what was about to happen.

When the doorbell rang, she happily skipped to the front door and opened it to reveal not only one face but three happy smiling faces looking at Sohee.

“Hey! I was on my way here and then I realised, why not have the whole group come? It’ll be a great catch up!” Jungkook boomed.

Sohee was looking at everyone in turn, clearly speechless. Hyunsoo felt a tinge of guilt but then remembered that it was Jungkook she was trying to get, so she laughed along with Jungkook and nodded. Hoseok was throwing his hands up as if celebrating a big part coming up.

They all took their shoes off in the hallway and started going upstairs to find Sohee’s room without an invitation from Sohee herself.

“Wait, I’m kinda hungry! Let me go downstairs and find what there is,” Hoseok said, halfway up the stairs.

Sohee, who was at the back of the crowd on their way up, quickly said nervously, “I’ll get it! What would you all like?”

Jungkook and Hoseok started naming a whole list of things that was probably exaggerating their hunger. Sohee, who seemed lost, went down to the kitchen and instead brought up a whole box of junk food and drinks for everyone.

They all sat down on the floor of Sohee’s room and began eating, forgetting the project work they had to be getting on with.

“So, how did you forget to invite me and Hyunsoo then?” Hoseok asked, with chips in his mouth.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Sohee replied, looking down, “I just forgot.”

“Just forgot.” Jungkook repeated, snickering.

“Wow, I feel so unwanted,” Hoseok joked, and started laughing with Jungkook.

Hyunsoo knew that Sohee was probably starting to feel a little embarrassed now, so she quickly changed the topic.

“Shall we get started on the work? We might as well do something now...” Hyunsoo said, but was interrupted by Hoseok.

“Why is the house empty?” he asked.

Jungkook giggled. Hyunsoo gave him a death stare. He shut up, but not before sticking his tongue out.

It was suddenly quiet. Hyunsoo looked at Sohee. She was looking down at her lap, and then looked up annoyed.

“Can all of you leave right now?” she said in a cold raspy voice.

Everyone was still for a moment. It happened so suddenly, so they were shocked.

“Are you alright?” Jungkook asked, feeling bad now.

Sohee didn’t answer.

Hoseok made a signal for everyone to just do as she said. They stood up one by one and started leaving the room. Sohee followed them out awkwardly, but didn’t say anything. She watched them put their shoes back on and leave, waving at her, but Sohee didn’t do anything. She shut the door as quietly as possible.

Hyunsoo turned to the others. “You idiots! It was both of you!”

“I didn’t realise she was so sensitive!” Hoseok retorted.

“Yeah, well if you were in her position would you want to be humiliated so bad? You were laughing at her!” Hyunsoo felt herself get a little angry.

“Hyunsoo, we’re sorry. Calm down and don’t react too much but, look behind you,” Jungkook said.

Hyunsoo turned around dramatically and noticed just in time one of Sohee’s window open and the curtains swaying. She looked back at Jungkook.

“I told you not to react too much…” he sighed, but shrugged.

“Well, let’s forget this and go home,” Hoseok said, turning away.

They walked home in silence, all thinking the same thing: What Sohee was doing now? Jungkook and Hoseok did feel a little ashamed at their own behaviour, but it was done now.

Unexpectedly, they didn’t know that Sohee was already trying to find a way to apologise to them the next morning.

“I’m sorry about last night,” Sohee said, after bringing all three together and looking at them sadly. “It’s true that I should have thought about Hyunsoo and Hoseok as well, and I’m sorry for kicking you out for such a little thing.”

Jungkook genuinely looked surprised but brightened his face up. “It’s okay.”

Hoseok smiled and Hyunsoo patted her back.

“It wasn’t your fault,” she said.

Jimin, who knew what happened the night before and had overheard them talking, muttered, “Ew, what a disease.”

He's the only one who still didn't like Sohee.