Chapter 32

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo wasn’t sure whether she was happy or not. She thought about not having to sit next to Jungkook every day anymore, and her heart started floating as if in mid air. She didn’t even know whether it was a good feeling or a bad one. It could have been the butterfly feeling of nervousness and not looking forward to the new seating plan. It could also have been the feeling of not wanting to leave her space, not wanting to change things around her… but Hyunsoo convinced herself, it was the feeling of finally being free; from being stuck at the back with Jungkook.

After school ended, Jimin and Hyunsoo went home… while Jungkook and Joy trailed after them for the bus. Hyunsoo didn’t want to turn around, but she could just about hear bits of their conversation between each other. She could almost imagine Joy glued to Jungkook’s shoulder, her eyes looking up at his mouth, while fluttering her eyelashes every time Jungkook looked down at Joy’s face. They got on the bus together and Jimin made sure he and Hyunsoo were far away from where Jungkook and Joy would go. Unfortunately, Jungkook was thinking differently to Jimin. He came after Hyunsoo and Jimin, seating themselves right in front of them.

Jimin made a face, making Hyunsoo smile. “Ew.”

They all got off the bus together and, as usual, went their separate ways. Although, not before Hyunsoo saw Jungkook look back briefly at her and wink, before putting his arm around Joy’s waist again.

Jimin saw. “What in the world…”

“Just ignore it. That’s what I always do.”

“He’s done it before?” he asked bewildered.

Hyunsoo nodded not saying anything. She wasn’t sure whether she should mention all the things he had done to her. It was the only thing Jimin was not aware of; he knew everything else.

“I’ll see you tomorrow!” Jimin waved, after they came to a stop in front of Hyunsoo’s house.

She waved at Jimin and turned to go inside, when she noticed that her father had still not arrived home yet. Hastily unlocking the door and wanting to get to her room safely without trouble, she thought of the last time she had seen her father, which was just yesterday, but it had been ages ago since she came face to face with him. Hyunsoo shut the front door behind her and locked it, bolting straight for her bedroom room when she remembered something else. Her father was looking around nervously yesterday before going inside… almost like he was scared of something.

A vibration from Hyunsoo’s pocket dragged her out of her thoughts and into reality. She went to sit on her bed, throwing her bag down to the side, and looked out the window for a while, before finally looking down at her phone. It was yet again no person from Hyunsoo’s contact list; it was just a random number that Hyunsoo was not familiar with. How are these people getting my number all of a sudden? She thought of spammers, but then realised Jungkook wasn’t one of them. She looked down at the message.

Hey Hyunsoo!

Whoever this was clearly knew Hyunsoo, or just knew her name. Though it could also have possibly been another Hyunsoo.

Who is this?

She pressed send and waited, while looking out the window again. She started wondering why Joy was spending more time with Jungkook. Was it because he had no weekly girl on these days? Or just because he liked Joy the best? Why was she even thinking about this? Her phone vibrated again.

I’m Hoseok! Jimin gave me your number. I wanted to speak to you… about Jungkook.

Hyunsoo stared at the message, closed her eyes and then sighed deeply. She had expected Hoseok to talk about Jungkook with her eventually. They weren’t friends anymore so obviously Hoseok would need someone to help. However, she wasn’t expecting the next message.

Jungkook is acting weird. He isn’t usually like this… I mean. He’s getting worse. Have you noticed? I’m sorry for suddenly throwing all this on you. I wanted to talk tomorrow but these thoughts won’t go away. I’m just worried… as a friend of his. : (

Hyunsoo looked out the window again and saw Jungkook’s front door open. She got up to take a closer look and saw Joy walking out, waving goodbye to Jungkook. Even after Joy left, she continued to stare… she couldn’t help it, but Jungkook was still standing outside. Hoseok’s message ran through her mind over and over again. Jungkook was getting worse? How? And, in what way? Hyunsoo was just about to pull herself away from her window, when she suddenly saw Jungkook walking out further from the porch to greet someone. His posture had changed. He didn’t look like cold and arrogant Jungkook anymore. He was hugging an old lady, and was leading her inside the house… was that his grandmother?

Hyunsoo jumped as her phone vibrated again. She tore herself away from the window and sat back down on the bed, thinking about how Joy left and suddenly the old woman turned up. Was she family to him? Well, that would be the obvious answer… but Hyunsoo still ran the question over in her head. She wasn’t sure what she was looking for, but she couldn’t help feeling her heart race and letting her eyes wander back to the window where she would see Jungkook’s house.

After a few minutes of trying to calm herself from the wild thoughts, Hyunsoo looked down at Hoseok’s last and new message.

Jungkook has become colder and more reserved than before. He’s been like that with everyone… everyone except you. I just wanted to ask, has something happened between the two of you?