Chapter 35

Caged and Guarded

The police had taken Hyunsoo’s father into custody and a court hearing was scheduled for the following month. Hyunsoo wasn’t sure whether she and her mum had to turn up for the actual hearing, but she pushed it to the back of her mind until the time would come to think about it.

The events of that day had still not completely sunk in and Hyunsoo felt like she had watched everything as an outsider, rather than as a victim. She was also curious about Jungkook’s thoughts. They hadn’t had the chance to talk much again after their given statements to the police. Jungkook’s grandma had run out to the front of Hyunsoo’s house and demanded to know what was going on and how her grandson had gotten involved. Hyunsoo’s mum had come home later and reacted nearly the same way as Jungkook’s grandma had. She fussed over the state of Hyunsoo and the house, and then complained about the police taking their time to leave them alone, but then they hugged and cried. It was finally over; they were saved.

Hyunsoo wasn’t feeling so great that morning the next day, while walking to school on her own. She was happy, but still nervous. She felt bothered by something; she didn’t know how to exactly pin point it. Jimin had texted her that he was coming to school late because of a dentist appointment, so she had to wait until break to be able to tell him everything about the day before. In fact, it felt as if Hyunsoo was alone and disconnected from everyone around her since the moment she had woken up for school. She hadn’t even bothered to reply to Jimin asking if it was just a check up or something had happened. She hadn’t noticed Jinyoung frantically wave at her, as she passed through the school gates and made her way to the entrance. What she did notice, however, was Jungkook.

Hyunsoo had made her way to the first lesson, which was German class, and was taking a seat behind Taehyung. They smiled at each other in greeting, but Hyunsoo kept quiet as she took out her book from her backpack. She had just opened a random page and was staring down at it to pretend she was busy, when suddenly–

“Why are you staring at Hyunsoo?” Taehyung asked, turned around from his chair.

Hyunsoo looked up at Taehyung, and then turned to look at her left shoulder being occupied by Jungkook’s elbow. She was so busy trying to distract her mind from last night that she hadn’t even realised.

He had been staring right at Hyunsoo’s face, but now, was staring into her eyes. For a moment, Hyunsoo felt mesmerized, and then quickly snapped out of it and looked away, feeling her face heat up. She could still feel Jungkook’s eyes on her. So after taking a deep breath, she looked back at him.

“What is it?”

Instead of answering, Jungkook looked down at Hyunsoo’s book in her lap then looked back up at her. They stared at each other for a while, and then, he left. Just like that. No word. No indication of anything to say. Nothing. Still, why was Hyunsoo’s heart beating so hard against her chest, and with speed too.

This left Hyunsoo confused for the rest of the lesson, as well as the next one. When it was finally break, she waited out on the benches to meet Jimin. He had only just come into school and had texted her to meet him there.

“Hyunsoo!” Jimin came up behind her, making her jump. “I went to buy us some food, so sorry for keeping you waiting.” He smiled and gave Hyunsoo a paper bag.

She smiled back and took the bag, opening it to find a burger, fries and apple pie. “McDonalds?”

Jimin nodded and grinned. “Here’s your drink as well, the one on the left.” And he held out a cardboard cup holder.

Hyunsoo’s smile became broader as she thanked Jimin. He definitely had made the day brighter for her, even if it was just bringing her some food.

They ate in silence, hearing only the ruffle of the paper bags and the sounds of having a very good meal. As soon as they finished, Hyunsoo started on the events of last night. Jimin was listening intently, nodding every now and then. His eyes widened when Hyunsoo got to the part where Jungkook had barged into the living room. His mouth was parted open when Hyunsoo had finished. She waited for a response. She didn’t know what she was expecting to be honest. Just the feeling of having a friend to talk to and share your feelings with, it made her feel like she wasn’t struggling alone.

“Well,” Jimin started, “I’m not happy that Jungkook got to go through the window before I ever did… but, I’m really happy now.” He was smiling again, but this smile was different. It was more special. It reflected the concern he had for Hyunsoo, and she could feel it. He didn’t know what to say, but he didn’t need any more words to express his happiness. It was on his face.

And just like that, she started crying. She had held it in all day, but she couldn’t do it anymore. After finally talking it out with someone other than her mum, she felt like something was lifted off her shoulders. She was free. It was then, when Jimin was hugging and patting her back, that Hyunsoo felt happy again.

It hadn’t taken long for Hyunsoo to calm down. They were smiling happily at each other. Every day would be different now.

They started talking again, about other things. They talked about what the dentist had told Jimin (“Stop drinking too many fizzy drinks!” Jimin mimicked his dentist, as he took another sip of coke from the straw.), they talked about the tests to start the next day, they talked about the new seating plan being introduced later today, and finally Hyunsoo told Jimin about Jungkook.

She hadn’t mentioned his Grandma earlier, since she didn’t want to go off topic then, but now she started filling in some gaps she had left and continued on to what had happened in the German lesson. When she finished, Jimin had an expression on his face that could only be explained as a cross between suspicion and surprise.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Nothing,” Jimin replied faintly.

“Come on, you did this before too. Will you not tell me what’s on your mind?”

Jimin paused for a bit, considering the answer. “You might not like what I think.”

“Just tell me.”

“I have a feeling that Jungkook–”

“Hey Hyunsoo! And Jimin!” Sohee interrupted, sitting down across them on the bench.