Chapter 31

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo was confused. The word ‘Jungkook’ came floating into her head. It was like an instinct, knowing it was him who had sent the text. Still, she had to be sure…

 

H: Who is this?

?: Don’t be so dumb.

H: Excuse me?

?: I said don’t be so dumb. Even over text you’re deaf and stupid…

H: Jungkook?

J: Now that that’s out of the way… explain yourself!

H: Explain what-

J: Don’t act more stupid than you already are.

H: Will you stop insulting me?

J: Will you start answering my question then?

H: Why should I explain anything to you?

J: Ah Hyunsoo, young stupid and idiotic Hyunsoo… are you saying you can’t trust me?

H: Yes.

J: That will change one day.

H: What do you mean?

J: My last text had no insults whatsoever and yet you still question me?

H: … Why do you care enough to ask?

J: Who said I care?

H: I don’t know… you’re asking me why I did something, which is clearly none of your business. You’re caring.

J: Don’t mind me trampling all over your dream paradise of me caring about you, but please go wash your brain with some bleach before you talk to me.

H: Hey! I was just saying! You asked for it!

H: Jungkook!!

 

Hyunsoo checked her phone, but Jungkook had stopped texting then. She tapped on ‘add to contacts’ and hovered over the phone keyboards when she had to name the contact. She was sat at the edge of her bed, thinking for a few good long minutes before finally typing ‘Kookie’ and saving the contact. Why did I just do that? Hyunsoo thought this through over and over again, as she unpacked, prepared to sleep and while she turned to get confortable in her bed. It wasn’t long before she finally fell asleep, still thinking about why she named him ‘Kookie’.

 

Hyunsoo woke up early the next day, completely forgetting about Jungkook’s texts, and got ready feeling really good. This time, Hyunsoo was out the door and waiting at the bus stop before Jimin, who was slightly late and had to count on Hyunsoo to hold up the bus for him. They talked and laughed about the camping trip as if it were all old memories, then caught up with what happened last night. Hyunsoo felt a burden grow on her shoulders quickly and suddenly as she remembered Jungkook’s messages and showed Jimin everything. He was gasping at every insult he threw at Hyunsoo.

“He knows no limit to anything.” Jimin was saying as they got off the bus and walked towards the school gates. “Delete the message! Delete his number!”

“Well…” Hyunsoo didn’t like hiding anything from Jimin. They had gotten so close so quickly; it was hard for Hyunsoo to keep secrets from him, especially when they always told each other everything.

Jimin’s reaction was exactly as Hyunsoo had expected. “You did what?” he shouted, but not angrily, just surprised.

“I don’t know why I did it! And every time I look at it, I can feel my fingers itching to delete him, but then I go back and just ignore it instead.”

Jimin was looking at Hyunsoo weirdly now.

“What?” she asked.

“Nothing. Let’s just go to lesson… what’s first?”

“History.” Hyunsoo didn’t bother pressing on about his behaviour, because just like Hyunsoo, Jimin also couldn’t keep secrets. She was bound to find out what he was thinking later today.

They walked quickly to their classroom for History, even though they were early, but they wanted to sit down and relax from all the walking they had done. However, that was going to be hard for Hyunsoo, because as soon as she stepped foot into the classroom, every single person turned and looked at Hyunsoo in a manner that made her feel like she was being watched very closely for mistakes. Jimin, standing beside Hyunsoo, stepped forward and beckoned Hyunsoo to follow him to the back of the classroom, where their seats where. It became clear very quickly why everyone was staring so hard at Hyunsoo. That’s because the that belonged to Jung to the kook was currently occupying Hyunsoo’s desk.

For a few seconds, everyone froze. Hyunsoo stared at Jungkook. Jungkook stared at Hyunsoo. And then, out of nowhere, Jungkook smiled and said very loudly, “There are a lot of things I want to know… sadly, the person who knows doesn’t want me to know either.”

Hyunsoo continued to stare, saying nothing. She didn’t have time to find the words to say anything, since Jungkook gave her no time to. He jumped off her desk and left to go sit on his own, leaving Hyunsoo dumbfounded.

Things didn’t improve later either. Hyunsoo had walked into her classes like German, Math, Science and Writing to only find Jungkook seated on top of Hyunsoo’s desk for the first few minutes before class actually began. Each time he said the same thing, each in his different ways. In History, Hyejin even took notice of the tension between Hyunsoo and Jungkook. She must have had told Joy about it, because later in Writing, Joy was scowling at Hyunsoo through the whole lesson, as well as glancing at Jungkook in a depressed way. She must have felt somehow threatened by Hyunsoo, though Hyunsoo thought they were acting jealous over nothing. In homeroom, Joy was even making sure not to let Jungkook out of her sight. Luckily, Hyunsoo had found her desk empty of butts when she walked in. She didn’t know how to react to him anymore. She didn’t know what he wanted exactly.

How do you feel about Jungkook?

Sohee’s words swam slowly into Hyunsoo’s head, filling up all other thoughts. What did she really think? Did she really have to decide this? What if she could just hate him like she does? No. Stop these thoughts!

“Quiet everyone!” The teacher started saying, and waiting for everyone to go quiet before adding, “Tomorrow I will reveal the new seating plan. You are all being moved based on how you did at the camping trip.”

Everyone including Hyunsoo groaned loudly. The teacher smiled broadly.