Chapter 28

Caged and Guarded

The time spent at the village was very enjoyable. It didn’t matter to anyone anymore who they were with, where they were and what was happening; they had fun. Some of the places Hyunsoo and the others found at the village included a game center filled with arcade games, a little fair with some small rides and food stalls and lastly, their favourite place, a playground. Hyunsoo had spent most of her time at the playground going on the swing and looking up at the sky, feeling like she would fly away any moment if she continued.

By the end of the day, and when the time came to go back to the campsite, the group went back to the café to have a snack before the long journey. However, somehow Hyunsoo was left to sit across from Jinyoung alone at the table with him, as the others had all mysteriously disappeared into their respective toilets.

“So, how did you find your first camping experience?” Jinyoung asked, smiling at Hyunsoo while resting his elbows on the table, and his face on his hands.

“It was nice. I definitely won’t forget it,” Hyunsoo said chuckling, remembering all the challenges they had to go through.

There was a long silence.

Hyunsoo looked around, trying to find something to talk about. “The café and the food is really nice… I wouldn’t mind coming back here to be honest.” And then she started laughing awkwardly (hehehehehe). Jinyoung ended up joining in, as they both couldn’t help but feel awkward at how awkward they were acting with each other. It was all fine, until Hyunsoo suddenly spoke up and said, “I want it to stay like this between us.”

Jinyoung looked surprised. “You want us to be awkward?”

“No!” Hyunsoo realised how wrong her sentence came out. That was not what she had meant at all. “I meant…” And now she felt too shy to say what was really on her mind.

“I think I understand.”

Hyunsoo looked at him. “Really?”

He leaned back in his chair. “I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I kind of expected you to be like this… I mean, you’ve been avoiding the whole subject with me for so long.” Hyunsoo looked embarrassed, but Jinyoung continued on, “I was thinking, if you let me take you out on a date, it will give you a chance to look at this objectively. I want you with me of course, but I won’t say anything if you say no after going on a date with me.”

“And if I don’t?” Hyunsoo couldn’t help asking.

“Then I won’t take no for an answer. I want you to give me a chance.” He was looking at Hyunsoo in a serious expression, one that showed a longing for something.

Hyunsoo thought for a while. Maybe it won’t be so bad. It’s just one date. He said I can say no afterwards… but will things change between us if I do say no? I want us to stay friends.

“Okay, I’ll let you take me on a date, but let’s wait a bit… until after the tests?” Hyunsoo said.

Jinyoung nodded. Just then, the rest of the group came back looking quite happy about something.

“Where have you guys been?” Jinyoung asked.

“Toilet,” Hoseok answered, looking at him as if it was a crime for asking such a question. Hoseok and Jinyoung gave each other strong glares for a few seconds, before Sohee broke it.

“We found something on our way back and we’re just checking it out. Sorry about the wait.” She sat down next to Hyunsoo happily.

 

Later, they made their way back to the campsite and started packing all their things up, as well as helping each other put the tents down and pack the equipment. It wasn’t long before they were done and the coach was waiting for them back up by the entrance of the village. Everyone got their belongings together and began to follow the teacher up to the village and out to the entrance.

During the walk to the coach, Jimin leaned towards Hyunsoo’s ear and whispered, “So?”

Hyunsoo looked at him with a question mark above her head.

“How did it go with Jinyoung?” he elaborated, and everything suddenly clicked into place.

“You!” Hyunsoo nearly shouted, “You told everyone?”

“No! We really did go to the toilet at first! But then, I saw you and Jinyoung talking and I realised this could be your chance. So, I managed to distract the others with air hockey.”

“They don’t know then…” she sighed in relief, “Thanks Jimin- wait, air hockey?”

“Yeah! They have it at the café! It’s so cool! Anyway, so did you make a move on Jinyoung?” Jimin attempted to wiggle his eyebrows.

“More like the other way around. Well, to be honest, I kind of started the talk… somehow.”

Hyunsoo began telling Jimin everything that Jinyoung had said to her. During the conversation, Jimin’s eyes kept getting wider and wider. Hyunsoo figured it was probably excitement.

“You said yes didn’t you?” Jimin was hopping alongside Hyunsoo now.

“Yes, I decided to give him a chance. Jimin, you need to remember that I might not like him… what if it’s something else I’m feeling?” Hyunsoo didn’t want to admit it, even to herself, but she had realised that she was feeling something with Jungkook as well.

“Don’t worry! You’ll figure it out after your date… it feels like it’s so far away though,” Jimin said, “Couldn’t you have done it for the next weekend?”

“No, I want to concentrate on my tests.”

“Alright, attention please students!” the teacher said loudly. They were standing in front of the coach now. “This time, I will let you choose your coach partner, but you need to find someone who you would like to get to know better.” His eyes were moving over all the friendship pairs, “I will know if you haven’t done as I asked. I’ve been watching you all.” He was starting to sound creepy then, so everyone instantly moved onto the coach, hoping to find someone good.

Hyunsoo, being so petite against everyone else, ended up putting her bags away last and got onto the coach last. She looked around at everyone already sitting with a partner. Jimin, who was standing in front of her, quickly moved to sit next to Seulgi, and then mouthed a ‘Sorry’, as Hyunsoo realised that the only other seat available was the one next to Jungkook.