Chapter 18

Caged and Guarded

Before Hyunsoo knew it, a month had already passed and everyone was enjoying their last day of school before going on the camping trip of 3 days and 2 nights. She was really looking forward to the trip, since school work was beginning to get harder and students were already getting stressed for upcoming tests before the end of term time. The days were also getting colder and the lessons felt longer.

Hyunsoo felt that family life improved slightly because of her part time job. She saw less of her dad, but a downside to that was that she also saw less of her mum. On the other hand, she became good friends with Minhyuk and Jiyong, who would usually help her out during work and also be there to chat with her during lunch breaks.

Though the one she could talk to most comfortably with was Jimin. Hyunsoo and Jimin were known as a duo within the first years. They were always together whenever possible and were best friends. Jinyoung was another good friend of Hyunsoo's, and he often visited her now that he knew where she lived. Sometimes the three of them would go out and have fun, relishing any stress they were having by sharing.

Jungkook was a problem. Wherever Hyunsoo went, he would be there. He was in nearly all her lessons, just like Jimin, and he always caused some kind of trouble where Hyunsoo found herself getting involved involuntarily.

Once, he got detention and managed to drag Hyunsoo into one by blaming her. She had to sit with him in the small detention room for an hour afterwards.

The weird thing was, no matter how much he insulted her, he never acted pretentious, rude and moody when he was alone with Hyunsoo. He completely ignored her then.

Hyunsoo could only wonder about him, but she wanted to hate him.

 

Two days before the camping trip, Hyunsoo found herself facing not only Jimin, but also Jinyoung in the morning before School.

"Hey Hyuny bunny!" Jimin winked.

"Jimin!" Hyunsoo looked at him shocked and flung her arms at him playfully.

Jinyoung was laughing, "Come on guys, we're already running late!"

They got the bus together and talked about their weekend, when Taehyung got on later carrying his cat.

"Uh, pets are not allowed at school, in case you didn't know..." Jimin was saying to him as soon as he sat down.

"I know that! But there's this club I go to and it's 'introduce your pet day'" Taehyung said with a straight face.

"What club is it?" Jinyoung asked.

"It's outside school. I go there to make friends and learn to talk properly."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I'm not shy or anything but I'm self conscious of the way I talk. I hear people make fun of me, so I came to this club to learn. It's more for shy and quiet people but it helps me too..."

Jimin looked at Hyunsoo, who knew straight away what he had in mind. "No Jimin, don't even think about it."

"Fine, only because I can see you improving recently."

They arrived just in time to hear the bell go off for the first lesson, and just in time to see a break up scene.

"Jungkook!! Why?" It was Sana.

"Leave me alone already. You're too clingy, Sowon too."

"Wait what? So it was true? You played with both of us?"

"Sure." He had an unreadable expression.

"You- you..."

"Byee!" And he left.

Everyone was staring at Sana crying. When they were walking to their lesson, they also found Sowon crying on the bench. No one said anything to either of them, but they were all thinking the same thing: 'What a jerk.'

 

At break, Hyunsoo was at the library when she saw Jungkook again. He was working on a table nearby, then looked up when Hyunsoo walked by.

"Hey," he said in the most monotone voice.

Hyunsoo, without answering, looked at him expectantly.

"I broke up with Sana and Sowon. I only have 4 girls left now."

"And?"

"And..."

She raised her eyebrows, but was feeling so inferior against him.

"You wanna join the weekly girls?"

She stared at him in disbelief. The way Jungkook made it sound like some kind of after school club made her want to throw up.

"Excuse me? Is this a joke? Are you serious?" Hyunsoo wished to be anywhere but here.

"No, answer me now." He rolled his eyes.