Chapter 19

Caged and Guarded

"You wanna join the weekly girls?"

She stared at him in disbelief. The way Jungkook made it sound like some kind of after school club made her want to throw up.

"Excuse me? Is this a joke? Are you serious?" Hyunsoo wished to be anywhere but here.

"No, answer me now." He rolled his eyes.

“Uhm, obviously no.” She was surprised at herself for her boldness, but with Jungkook, she felt herself change completely.

However, Jungkook simply snorted at her and said, “Psshh, you actually took that seriously. You’re too easy to play with,” he laughed, putting his hand up to the bookshelf above them, “Well, see ya later!”

Hyunsoo was too shocked for words, but her reflexes were quick enough to catch the few books that nearly fell on her. She glanced quickly at Jungkook’s poker face before looking down at the German language books in her hands.

“Hey!” came a voice behind Hyunsoo.

Both Hyunsoo and Jungkook turned around to find Jinyoung staring at them.

“Seriously?” Jungkook turned to Hyunsoo and said sarcastically, “Your hero is here.”

Hyunsoo, ignoring Jungkook, walked closer to Jinyoung and put the books aside. “What are you doing here?” She wanted to keep the tension down between the two guys.

“The question should be, what is he doing to you? I saw all that.” Jinyoung replied, putting much emphasis on the words ‘he’ and ‘saw’.

“Let’s just ignore him, Jinyoung. He feeds on attention.”

Jungkook chuckled, but didn’t say anything, though he didn’t move either.

“I was looking for you actually,” Jinyoung said to Hyunsoo, “I wanted to ask you if we could meet after school? You know, just to walk home together. I know you get the bus, but I want to walk you home today… and… I just need to talk to you alone.”

“Oh, sure… uh, I’m sure Jimin won’t mind.” Hyunsoo smiled up at him.

Jungkook coughed, “Okay, well that was a nice scene both of you, but the bell for our lesson will go soon and we have to go.”

“Our? We?” Jinyoung raised an eyebrow.

“I’m sorry, I was talking to our Hyunsoo here. Last time I checked, you weren’t in our art lesson.” Jungkook patted Jinyoung’s back. “Come on Hyunsoo.” He grabbed her hand and led her out of the library, leaving Jinyoung stunned, before letting go and walking away without another word.

“What the hell…” Hyunsoo said, almost to herself.

 

After school, Hyunsoo was waiting outside the school gates for Jinyoung. She had waved goodbye to Jimin, as he walked away to the bus stop on his own… well, he was with Taehyung and his cat, so he wasn’t alone. Jinyoung joined Hyunsoo very soon after Jimin had left, and soon they were walking down the quiet streets on their own.

“So, what did you need to talk about?” Hyunsoo asked curiously.

Jinyoung smiled widely, “What’s the rush? We have a long while before you get home.”

“Yeah, but I’m curious!”

Jinyoung started laughing, making Hyunsoo also laugh. For some reason though, at the same time, Hyunsoo felt very uncomfortable due to the sensation of being watched. She had a feeling that she was either imagining things, or someone was actually following them.

Jinyoung must have noticed Hyunsoo feeling somewhat uncomfortable, since he asked suddenly, “Are you alright?”

“Yes, I am. Just… It’s nothing.” Hyunsoo didn’t want to tell Jinyoung, though she wasn’t sure why she wouldn’t let the words come out.

Then, Jinyoung chose this moment to finally tell Hyunsoo what was on his mind. Hyunsoo felt her heart take a wild rollercoaster ride; it was accelerating uphill.

“Listen, Hyunsoo. I don’t know how you will react and because of that reason I am feeling very nervous right now, but I’ve been feeling this for a while now… since the beginning really.”

The rollercoaster was at the top, just hanging there between two drops. She stopped walking, and so did Jinyoung.

“I know you’re probably feeling nervous too right now, but I need to let you know how I feel. I really like you, but not just as a friend, maybe even more. I wanted to tell you this, so I can learn how you feel as well-”

“Alright kids, show’s over.” Jungkook walked up to them from behind the parked cars on the sidewalk.

“Jungkook?” Jinyoung did a shocked double take.

“Jungkook? You?” Hyunsoo felt her rollercoaster make a deep drop. She was right about the feeling of being followed.

“Yes, me. Jinyoung, you’re turn is over. I live right across her, so I’ll take care of the whole ‘walking home’ business.” And for the second time that day, Jungkook took Hyunsoo’s hand and led her away.

“Hey, Jungkook! Why do you keep taking her away from me?” Jinyoung shouted behind them. “Was I right before? Are you jealous?”

Jungkook wasn’t listening. He continued to drag Hyunsoo back home. What a gentleman. Hyunsoo looked up at Jungkook. He can’t be jealous. That doesn’t sound like Jungkook. Still, Hyunsoo stopped Jungkook with more force than before and turned him to face her. For the first time, she saw Jungkook look at her in genuine surprise.

“Answer Jinyoung. What is wrong with you? Why do you keep doing this to me? You’re acting weird. And why me?” Hyunsoo had so many questions that suddenly kept coming out and she couldn’t stop herself from asking them.

Jungkook’s look of surprise had disappeared and he had replaced it with a oh-look-how-cute expression.

“These questions will be answered… one day. Let’s go, I’m beginning to get cold. You at least have a jacket.”

“You want it?”

Jungkook looked at her as if she was crazy, “As If I would touch that. Please, don’t talk rubbish you make me want to boomerang you back to rock head back there.”

“Should’ve thought of what you were doing before you dragged me along.”

Jungkook stared at her with a smile in his eye. “Walk.” He said simply and took Hyunsoo’s hand again.