Chapter 66

Caged and Guarded

“When do you think Jungkook will come?” Sohee asked, after a long minute of silence.

Hyunsoo and Taehyung looked at each other. Sohee was observing the classroom impatiently, especially the door, as if waiting for a certain someone to walk in.

“Just go over there and wait. How would we know anyway?” Jinyoung said, pointing at a nearby table, and then catching Hyunsoo’s eye, added, “Maybe she knows.”

Sohee glared at Hyunsoo and then turned away to continue watching everyone around the classroom. At that exact moment the door opened revealing the one and only Jungkook, but just then, Taehyung had walked up to Sohee’s face making her look at him with her back to the door.

“What?” she asked irritated.

“I think he likes you,” Taehyung whispered, making Sohee’s eyes widen.

Hyunsoo caught Jungkook’s attention quickly and she made a swift signal to show him not to intrude just yet. His reaction was a simple eyebrow raise and a glance at Sohee before bursting into a snigger. Hyunsoo rolled her eyes. She looked back and realised Jinyoung had been watching her.

“Sorry, just… play along, will you?”

Jinyoung nodded, looking at Jungkook and then to Sohee.

Taehyung was still whispering to Sohee. “He’s acting awkward and shy but he has his eye on you, me thinks.”

“What are you saying? How do you know?” she asked quietly.

“I just do,” he replied with a creepy looking smile.

Sohee stepped away from Taehyung and looked at Jinyoung.

It was silent for a while again, and Hyunsoo couldn’t handle this awkwardness so she broke it by saying, “We should hang out sometime!”

Taehyung put his hand up happily. “Yes! We should go paintballing!”

“What?” Jinyoung and Sohee said at the same time.

Jungkook was laughing even more now in the background, but he kept himself hidden amongst other group members of different project groups.

“It will be fun,” Hyunsoo said, sounding unsure. She had never been paintballing so didn’t know whether to look forward to it or not, and then it hit her. She looked at Taehyung.

“We should go on a weekend, so we can meet up at the place or something. Is everyone in?” Taehyung asked, and without waiting for an answer, he said, “Great!”

Hyunsoo smiled encouragingly to Jinyoung and Sohee. “Let’s do this!”

Sohee was looking at them all in turn with a suspicious look on her face. “Are you guys sure?”

“Yeah! We used to talk and everything before, but we suddenly stopped. Remember the camping trip?” Hyunsoo said.

Sohee looked like she was considering it, but then Jinyoung interrupted and said, “I don’t think I can, sorry.”

“What! You have to!” Taehyung said.

“I’m not sure…”

Hyunsoo asked Sohee, “Are you definitely coming?”

Sohee didn’t reply, but looked at Jinyoung.

“Hey guys! Just heard you planning something about paintballing?” Jungkook came out from behind Sohee, who’s face lit up instantly as he approached, “I think that’s a great idea! Let me join too!”

“Uh,” Hyunsoo stared at Jungkook. He wasn’t supposed to come out just yet. What did he think he was doing?

Jungkook looked at Hyunsoo reassuringly.

“I’ll come!” Sohee said immediately.

Taehyung nodded and looked at Jinyoung next, who looked perplexed at the thought of going anywhere with both Hyunsoo and Jungkook.

“I’m not sure…” he said.

“Think about it. I’d be nice if you came though,” Jungkook said, and took Hyunsoo’s arm to drag her to another table.

Hyunsoo looked back as she saw Taehyung with a kind smile on his face, talking to Jinyoung. Sohee had moved away as soon as Jungkook and started leading Hyunsoo away.

As Jungkook sat down on a chair, Hyunsoo stared down at him confused.

“What was that all about?” she asked.

“I had to do it. You saw how Sohee was looking at you so strangely.”

“Yeah, but you’re coming as well now…”

“Or am I?” Jungkook said, looking at Hyunsoo with a mischievous smile.

“Huh.”

“Now listen here little grasshopper, Jinyoung and Sohee have a date this weekend, even though its paintballing and not a common first date, but let’s trust Taehyung and go with it.”

Hyunsoo’s face brightened. “We just won’t turn up!”

“Exactly.” Jungkook was smiling.

With this in mind, Hyunsoo began working with the rest of her project group members. She was already feeling excited about what would happen. She didn’t feel any jealousy anymore from Sohee’s actions, because it was more like helping Jinyoung and finding Sohee a substitute instead.