Chapter 43

Caged and Guarded

The curiosity in Hyunsoo’s head took over and she went to listen in to the group’s conversation. Whatever Hyejin was saying, the rest were listening so intently, their faces had ‘trouble coming up’ all over it.

“… told Joy we could do it. I’m counting on you three, all right? Just annoy the hell out of Jungkook, so much he will automatically go to Joy.”

“What if he doesn’t?” Tiffany asked.

“He will. He always did in the past, when that stupid Hyunsoo upset him.”

They nodded and walked away, probably going to look for Jungkook. Hyunsoo also immediately left and went back to Hoseok, who was staring at her questionably. She didn’t wait for him to ask. She told him straight away what she had just heard. Whatever this was had something to do with Joy, and that just made the situation worse. Hyunsoo had a very bad feeling in her stomach.

“This is bad… why are they so into getting to him? And what is up with that girl Joy? Jungkook hates her,” Hoseok said.

“Really?”

Hoseok looked at Hyunsoo astounded. “Of course! He wouldn’t go play with people he actually cares about would he? He hated all his weekly girls.”

Hyunsoo’s stomach suddenly started feeling better.

Hoseok continued talking. “I’m really worried about Jungkook though. He’s sensitive at this time, so I think the girls you overhead, they might end up hurting him.”

The bad feeling returned. “We have to do something!”

“Hyunsoo!” Jinyoung shouted from the other side.

Hyunsoo looked past Hoseok and found Jinyoung walking over to them from across the dance floor.

“I’ll leave you guys. Need to think about this plan they’re making…” And Hoseok left.

“Hi Jinyoung,” Hyunsoo smiled. He was wearing a Thor costume.

“Finally you’re here! I’ve been waiting. Remember the surprise I mentioned?” he asked, looking excited.

Hyunsoo just nodded, not able to get her thoughts off from what she had overheard.

“Well, it’s… are you all right?” he abruptly asked.

Hyunsoo looked at him. “Yes… why?”

“You just seem miles away from what I’m saying to you.” His excitement seemed to have disappeared. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry Jinyoung, there’s just something on my mind right now.”

“Well, what is it? You can tell me.”

Hyunsoo hesitated for a bit, but decided to tell him. However, Jinyoung’s face expression didn’t change. He was starting to look quite upset and annoyed.

“I just want to make sure Jungkook is all right,” Hyunsoo finished saying.

“Why do you care?”

“What?”

“He never cared for you. All he did was hurt you. Me? I saved you from him. And yet, you keep thinking about him over me.”

Hyunsoo was shocked. Where was this all coming from? “T-That’s not true!”

Jinyoung sighed. “It is. You’ve changed with me ever since we started going out. Have you gotten bored? Decided you don’t like me anymore? Don’t want to be with me? What is it? You’ve been so distant… but still, I try… I keep trying, thinking, hoping; maybe today it will be different. You said yes to me, not Jungkook.”

Jinyoung was breathing deeply, looking like he had just released a lot of fuel. Hyunsoo felt her legs go weak. It was such a sudden outburst; Hyunsoo couldn’t take it and felt her eyes stinging with threatening tears. Why was this happening? She was losing everyone. She looked to her side, hiding her face, and noticed out of the corners of her eye, Jungkook staring at them. Hyunsoo sighed weakly, what timing, she thought.

Hyunsoo looked back at him and felt a tear roll down her cheek. “Jinyoung… I didn’t mean for you to feel this way…”

“But I do. I feel jealous and angry. I admit it. Why is it that Jungkook is always in your mind? Why is it not me you always think about?”

Hyunsoo tried to answer, that that wasn’t true, but the words were stuck in . Was it true? Did she spend more time thinking about Jungkook? Jimin’s words came into her mind… You like Jungkook.

Jinyoung was looking at Hyunsoo, waiting impatiently for an answer. When she still couldn’t say anything. He sighed and walked away, without another word. In a way, that was probably worse than saying something. Hyunsoo let herself burst into tears. She just wanted to go back home now. How could she ever think that maybe, maybe high school will change her life. Maybe, she will be happy. Maybe–

“Pull yourself together,” said a voice behind her.

Hyunsoo whipped around and looked at the tissue in front of her face. She took it and cleaned the mess on her face, before looking at Iron Man Jungkook, waiting for her to finish.

“Thanks,” she whispered.

“Are you okay?”

And then, as if Jungkook had pushed a button, Hyunsoo started crying all over again. Not as much as before, but still, more tears rolled down her face. This time however, she started telling Jungkook how everything was going wrong. How everyone hated her and she had lost everyone.

“You’re not the only one with worries…” Jungkook said, but was looking at her with kind eyes.

Hyunsoo then remembered TTS and Hyejin’s plan, and stopped crying. “Jungkook! They’re out to get you! Joy and Hyejin, and the trio girls, TTS.”

Jungkook looked at her for a moment and then said, “Let’s worry more about the little red riding hood in need.”

He reached his hand out and took the tissue from Hyunsoo’s hand. She stared at his face, watching as he wiped each tear away himself. She could feel her heart race against her chest, as Jungkook stood so close to her. Again, she remembered Jimin… I like Jungkook.