Chapter 23

Caged and Guarded

“What was that?” Hyunsoo demanded. She didn’t want to admit it, but she was somehow glad that Jungkook did that to Hyejin. At the same time though, she was also annoyed that he of all people had to come to save her. It made her feel like she couldn’t do anything to save herself.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he replied coolly.

“That thing you said to Hyejin!” Hyunsoo started feeling stupid for talking to him. What exactly was it that she came to say in the first place? Looking at him made her forget.

Joy chose that exact moment to suddenly come out and take Jungkook’s arm. “Jungkook, why are you talking to her?”

“I’m wondering the same thing…” he smirked, then looked at Joy with a grin, “Let’s go, before she infects us with her loneliness.”

“Lone– Urgh!” Hyunsoo let out a frustrated but quiet yell as soon as they were out of earshot.

However, Jinyoung seemed to have heard everything, since he came up behind her and asked, “What did he do earlier to Hyejin? Are you alright?”

“Nothing, he didn’t do anything.” Hyunsoo replied a little too quickly, feeling a little flustered and making it suspicious.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow, but let it go. This was probably because just then, the teacher called everyone together to make another announcement.

“Alright, for dinner, you will be making your own food! I will help out a little, but you kids will do most of the work. Everyone split in half! One group will look for wood to make the fire and the other group can be in charge of cooking. I don’t care where you find the food from, but you do that all yourself. Now, I want both groups equal, so let me count you up.”

In the end, Hyunsoo was in the cooking team, along with Jimin, but also Jungkook and Joy… even Hyejin. Jungkook wanted to be in the fire team, but there were too many in that group and the teacher chose Jungkook to be left out. Joy was overjoyed (geddit) when Jungkook trudged over to her group. Hyejin tried to look happy, but failed. She hadn’t forgotten what he did to her.

The fire team had to go into the forest and collect all the logs and twigs they could find to bring back for the fire. Starting the fire was the hardest part for the group; since it was everyone’s first time doing anything like this. Though they managed to light the fire in the end, and just in time to hear that the cooking team had found some edible things in the forest and even succeeded in taking something from the chef – with permission of course. Overall, it felt as if it had taken them nearly five hours in making dinner.

“This tastes good because we made it with our own hard work!” Hoseok was shouting with happiness. He was sitting next to a sulky Jungkook, who had been acting like that since he was put in the cooking group.

Jimin was sitting with Hyunsoo chatting. Jinyoung was on Hyunsoo’s other side, but was talking to Sohee instead. They seemed to have become friends quickly.

“Let’s play a quick game, before we do the traditional scary stories!” Hoseok continued bouncing his head at everyone, looking as if he had never had a better day before.

“Good idea Hoseok,” smiled the teacher from the side. He too was eating the food made by the students. It had turned out… not bad.

“I choose truth or dare!” Hyejin spoke up, receiving nods from Tiffany and Seohyun on her sides.

“Fine,” Hoseok said, “You start of then, choose someone.”

“You, Hoseok. Truth or dare?”

“Dare!!”

Hyejin smiled. “ the ashes from the fire, then the person closest with the ashes.”

Immediately, everyone attempted to move away from Hoseok. Though a look from Hyejin made everyone stay seated in their places. The teacher watched, obviously amused.

Hoseok bent down to the ashes, then keeping his tongue out, went to Kangin on the cheek. Kangin made a throwing up motion in return, but still laughed with everyone.

“Alright,” Hoseok wiped the ashes away with a disgusted expression, “The person I , Kangin, Truth or Dare?”

“Dare.”

“I dare you to grab Hyejin’s and hold it for thirty seconds. Revenge for making me do this.”

Everyone screamed in laughter, all except Hyejin, who looked at Kangin horrified.

Throughout the game the teacher was laughing along and watching them. Soon, it was getting darker, but the game kept going.

“Truth!” Sohee said.

Donghae started thinking. “Is there anyone you really like and might consider dating here?” he gestured around at the group.

“Uh.” In truth, this had never crossed Sohee’s mind, but now that she thought about it… “Yes.”

“WHO?”

“You already used your truth.” Sohee laughed, “Hyunsoo! Who do you hate the most here?”

Everyone stared at Hyunsoo anticipating. The first answer that came to her mind was only too easy, but could she really say his name out loud? It wouldn’t hurt him right? He probably knew she hated him.

“Jungkook.” She said loudly, causing a wave of shock on everyone’s faces, especially Jungkook. Why was he surprised?

“Hey, it’s just a game right!” Hoseok tried to liven the mood again. He cast an annoyed look at Sohee for asking this question. Hoseok knew what Hyunsoo had just said just hurt Jungkook. More than anyone else had thought it would. No one knew Jungkook like Hoseok did.

“Yeah, it was just a fun question!” Sohee looked guilty.

Hyunsoo felt empty, but her head was filled with questions at the same time.

The teacher stood up at this point. “Let’s, uh, I will tell you all a scary story now. Camping is not camping without sharing a scary story.” He could feel the tension between Jungkook and Hyunsoo.

It was weird. They didn’t particularly like each other, so why the sudden shock and surprise? Why was Jungkook upset at this?