Chapter 36

Caged and Guarded

“Jungkook is acting so different!” Sohee started talking without noticing either of her companion’s expressions. Hyunsoo and Jimin were slightly annoyed at the interruption, though Jimin recovered quickly when listening to what Sohee had to say. “Have you noticed? He’s meaner! I’m actually scared to approach him now.”

“You wanted to approach him?” Jimin was interested, though beside him, Hyunsoo was just even more annoyed when hearing Sohee talk about Jungkook. She liked Sohee, but for some reason, she couldn’t help but to dislike her then.

“Yes, I was interested in talking to him, but now I feel a bit put off by his new attitude…”

“That’s good. I mean, you should be put off. He will hurt you anyway if you talk to him,” Hyunsoo’s mouth was moving before she had even realised, “You will end up broken hearted, so don’t bother.”

Jimin was looking at Hyunsoo more surprised than he had been before, while Sohee just stared looking slightly confused, or maybe even beginning to re think her decision to have sat down with Hyunsoo and Jimin.

“I guess you could be right,” Sohee said slowly, “I was walking behind Jungkook and Joy yesterday after school.” This time, Hyunsoo stared at Sohee looking surprised. “Joy seemed really clingy, and Jungkook constantly kept pushing her arm away every time she tried to wrap it around him. He didn’t look too happy, but that’s all I saw since he stood waiting for the bus then and I went past.”

Jimin was smirking at Hyunsoo, who ignored him and continued to stare at Sohee. It went quiet for a bit; no one knew what to say anymore. Then, the bell rang, saving them quickly from enduring more of the already awkward silence. Hyunsoo and Jimin hurriedly bid goodbye to Sohee and started walking to their lesson together.

“Well, that was awkward.”

“It was because of me wasn’t it?” Hyunsoo stated, rather than asked.

Still Jimin answered. “Yeah, but also no.”

 

Later in homeroom, everyone was told to stand in front of the classroom, since it was finally time to do the seating plan change. The teacher had gone around and given each student their own number, before going to each desk and placing a number on the table as well.

Hyunsoo’s number was 29. She looked at Jimin’s piece of paper and saw the number 18 printed on it. She hoped they wouldn’t be too far apart, while also hoping that she wouldn’t be too close to Jinyoung and Jungkook. Hyunsoo had no idea why she felt like that with Jinyoung. He was her friend, but since his confession and his request to go on a date, she felt like she ought to hide. From what, she had to figure out herself. It was just a feeling in her stomach.

Soon, other students were shuffling around the classroom looking for their numbers to match with a table. Hyunsoo had decided to start from the front of the classroom and work her way back, since it seemed likely that she would be far from where she was last time.

However, it turned out to be the complete opposite of that. Hyunsoo’s new seat was in the back corner on the left side of the classroom, also known as: Jungkook’s old desk. It was even more startling when Jinyoung came to sit next to Hyunsoo, in her old desk. She couldn’t help it, but she let out a gasp as soon as Jinyoung came to sit down. He turned to look at her with an eyebrow raised, but lost her attention when she saw Jungkook come to sit in front of Jinyoung. And this time, she put her head down to her desk, not wanting to see any more of the new seating change.

After what seemed like just a few minutes, Hyunsoo heard the teacher clear his throat and start, “This seating, like I’m sure I mentioned before, is based on your camping trip. I put together people who I feel could work better, become friends with others and learn more with each other.”

Hyunsoo finally lifted her head up and saw Jimin sitting next to Jungkook. Sitting on the other side of Jungkook, was Sohee.

“If you don’t like your new seating, well, you’re going to have to deal with it. You should have known that your old seating was not forever, since you got to choose it. This seating, however, is permanent, so might as well start getting used to it now!”

Just then, the bell started ringing and everyone stood up with his or her bags to leave as soon as possible. Some were eager to leave for the library (tests would start tomorrow), whereas others were just keen to get home.

Jungkook, it seemed, was eager to get to Hyunsoo. He slung his bag on his back and waited in front of Hyunsoo’s desk, alongside a very confused Jimin and an angry Joy.

“Why are we waiting here Jungkook?” Joy sounded very annoyed.

Jungkook didn’t answer and began to drum his fingers on the desk. Jimin and Hyunsoo glanced at each other; communicating the awkwardness they were feeling against Jungkook and Joy and wondering why they were here. Too afraid to speak their thoughts, Hyunsoo grabbed Jimin by the arm and pulled him ahead.

For the first half of the journey, Hyunsoo and Jimin stuck to each other keeping quiet, as Jungkook and Joy were walking very close to them. Joy was, as Sohee had been saying, grabbing Jungkook’s arm and trying to wrap herself onto him, but at each attempt, Jungkook gave a cold look and pulled Joy’s arms away from him. It was too awkward to talk, but once they were standing still at the bus stop doing nothing else, Hyunsoo decided to try a small talk.

“Has everyone been revising for the tests?” she asked, before immediately regretting the topic choice after seeing Joy’s disgusted face expression.

“Yeah,” Jimin smiled and nodded, “It’s hard though.”

“I have too,” Jungkook spoke up. Everyone looked at him, but he continued, “I’ve been revising for weeks now, so feeling pretty confident about the tests.”

At this, Hyunsoo realised that she didn’t actually know much about Jungkook, other than his arrogant personality. She wanted to learn about the Jungkook she saw when he changed his behaviour after seeing his grandma. She wanted to know what was underneath his cold disguise, and she wanted to know why he turned like this. She knew from experience, not everyone becomes like they are for no reason. There is always an explanation for everything.