Chapter 21

Caged and Guarded

Jungkook and Jimin weren’t any more pleased with the seating than Heechul and Hyejin. Though they were certainly keener to not start an argument, as they usually do. Their hate towards each other was more low-key.

“So, you excited to camp?” Jimin asked, keeping his gaze away from Jungkook.

“Uh, not sure. I’m not a nature boy. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it though.”

“I won’t be the only one, and you’ll get used to it.”

“I’m sure.”

“It’s only two night.”

Their tone of voices was suggesting the opposite of all good things they were saying to each other. An awkward silence passed by.

“HEY! GIMME BACK MY MIRROR, HEECHUL!”

“Just go to sleep. You look better dead.” Heechul rolled his eyes.

Jimin, after hearing this, gave a slight giggle, but turned it to a cough. Which was, a wise choice. Heechul was probably the only person in the school who wasn’t afraid of Hyejin. He was the only one who ever stood up to her and pointed out how idiotic she is.

“I haven’t talked to you before, even though we’ve been in the same homeroom for a month now!” Jinyoung was chatting to Sohee.

Hyunsoo hadn’t even noticed or seen Sohee before. She became suddenly aware at how little she knew about her homeroom classmates. She took a quick peek behind her. Sohee had black straight hair, going all the way down to her elbows. She had a cute smile and an innocent look in her eyes. Somehow, she reminded Hyunsoo of herself, but in a more confident version.

“It’s nice to meet you finally,” Sohee said smiling, “I haven’t been able to talk to many people actually. I only got to know the twins Donghae and Lay, since I share lots of lessons with them.”

“You’ll make more friends during this trip, trust me. There are many nice people here.” Jinyoung caught Hyunsoo peeking back at him and Sohee, “Take Hyunsoo for example! She’s shy and really nice when you get to know her.”

His sudden call to her made Hyunsoo nearly jump out of her seat in half embarrassment and half shame for spying, but instead she turned around fully and greeted Sohee with a smile, then turned back and tried to make conversation with Seulgi.

“Shall we play a little game? I’m bored already.” Hyunsoo suggested.

Seulgi nodded and jeered, “Truth!”

Hyunsoo giggled and nodded, “Okay, I’ll ask first.” She looked over at Jimin. “Do you like someone?”

Hyunsoo didn’t know why she suddenly asked this, but while she had been thinking, she couldn’t help notice Jimin right in front of him… stuck with Jungkook.

“Yes!” She giggled and Hyunsoo felt a warmth sensation fill her stomach for Jimin. “I’ll ask the same, since I’m blank right now. Do you like someone?” she raised her eyebrow.

Hyunsoo thought for a while. She didn’t know what to say… she couldn’t imagine herself dating, to be very honest. She never dated anyone before. She didn’t know her ideal type or anything. It would definitely not be someone like Jungkook… right? He was so conceited and self centered and just mean and, and… Hyunsoo remembered Jinyoung’s confession. She never gave any kind of reply to him, which actually made her glad. He was a great guy, but she didn’t know what to say. How would she know that she likes someone?

“Hellooooooo??” Seulgi snapped her fingers in front of Hyunsoo’s face, “Hyunsoo? You okay?”

“Yeah, uhm… I was just thinking. I guess it’s a no.”

“Don’t give me that crap. You thinking about this means there’s more than one guy, right? Otherwise, it would have been easy with just one in mind. How many guys did you think of? 3? 4? 5?” She was getting excited.

“None! I was just suddenly wondering what my ideal type is…” Hyunsoo was flustered by the sudden excitement.

“I’ll help you find your ideal type during this trip, don’t you worry.” She winked, and Hyunsoo saw the similarity between her and Jimin.

They continued playing ‘Truth’ until they ran out of questions and started feeling hungry. One by one, people in the coach started taking short naps, and soon Hyunsoo joined them, letting her eyelids slowly cover her eyeballs.

 

“Wake up everyone!” the teacher was shouting over everyone’s head. The coach had stopped moving, and the driver had disappeared. “We’re here!”

Hyunsoo rubbed her eyes and slowly sat up straight to look outside. It looked as if the coach had been parked right outside the entrance of the village, which was surrounded by a towering forest. Hyunsoo felt as if she had just gone back in time a few ten years.

“Woah!” Donghae whispered, though audible enough for everyone to hear.

“Cool!” Eunhyuk said.

“Oh, thank goodness we’re here! I’m starving.” Hyejin said, as soon as she woke up.

Next to her, Heechul stirred in his sleep, but didn’t wake up.

“You’re starving?” Jungkook turned around. He looked as if he hadn’t gone to sleep at all.

“It’s just an expression…” Hyejin stopped dead and looked like a mouse caught in the act.

Jungkook ignored her, took his bags and went outside. The rest started doing the same, but Hyejin had sat back down and had a defeated kind of expression on her face. Hyunsoo ignored everyone and went straight to Jimin, after taking her rucksack. They went out together and breathed in the nice cool air. It was different and fresh.

There were no roads there, just a path, some houses, a market and an inn, along with other things Hyunsoo had yet to discover. The board overhead read ‘Welcome to Craydon!’ in bright red letters on a yellowish kind of board. It looked slightly deserted, but that was understandable, considering the size of the village.

“Jungkook! Stop!”

Everyone turned around to witness what happened.

“What!” shouted Jungkook annoyed.

He was standing next to a kid (maybe seven or eights years old), who was standing next to his mother (presumably). Not one of the three looked happy.

“Jungkook, apologise to the boy right now!” the teacher was yelling now, “We didn’t come all this way for you to, to go around scaring the kids away!”

Oh.

Hyunsoo suddenly lost interest, and it appeared, Jimin had too. They turned their back to Jungkook and continued looking around the village.