Chapter 15

Caged and Guarded

"It's getting late now so I should go. I didn't even tell my parents I'd be staying here." Jimin walked out the front door, followed by a smiling Hyunsoo.

It had been a great day today. She felt like she really belonged somewhere, with a good friend like Jimin.

However, that feeling disappeared quickly when Hyunsoo noticed Jungkook's front door open as well. Jimin saw the change of expression in Hyunsoo's face, then turned around in time to see Joy walking out and hugging Jungkook.

"Urgh... I still can't believe he has his weekly girls..." Hyunsoo said, making Jimin look at her in surprise.

"What?"

Realising that Jimin wasn't there when Hoseok explained everything, she began to tell him everything that she knew.

"Oh ma days! I would feel sorry for the girls, but I don't really have any pity to offer." Jimin rolled his eyes, making Hyunsoo laugh silently. "Anyway, I'm gonna go now. See you at school!"

Jimin waved and walked off in the direction of his house. Just then, the bus went past, blocking Hyunsoo's view of Jungkook and Joy. As soon as the bus left, she saw Joy walking away now, and when Hyunsoo looked back at Jungkook, she realised that he was looking straight back at her... with a full-on smirk.

"Did they do something?" Hyunsoo thought out loud, "What if... did they kiss?"

"Hyunsoo?" Her mum came out, "Come inside. I have something to tell you."

"Yes," She followed her mum in, closing the door behind her.

Then, her mum turned around to face her and said, "I found a job for you to work during the weekends. I thought it was a good idea for several reasons."

Hyunsoo looked suprised. Out of everything else, she didn't expect this.

"It would be good for you to spend time outside the house. This time can be used to gain more confidence and to spend time away from... your dad. Also, you can earn some money to spend for yourself!" Her mum looked at her happily, but there was a feeling of sadness in the air.

"What about you?" Hyunsoo looked back at her mum worriedly.

"I'll manage. You're more important. It's my fault I can't do more... I've never been able to give you lots of money to spend... I've not been able to keep you safe from your daily injuries. This was all I could find to do, and you'll gain experience as well."

 

The next day, Hyunsoo woke up really early to get ready for her first day of work. Of course, just like her first day of school, she was extremely nervous. Her mum had told her to get to work at 9am and had also given the address on a sheet of paper. She had looked it up online last night and found that it wasn't too far. In fact, she arrived 15 minutes early and was standing outside a small looking art shop. It looked like a friendly kind of shop, where customers would come in for everyday conversations with the workers. Hyunsoo looked even more nervous, realising how much talking she would have to do... but then again, like her mum said, she had to gain more confidence.

"What are you doing?" Someone suddenly spoke near Hyunsoo's ear.

She spun around quickly in surprise and found herself facing a tall skinny looking guy wearing very fashionable looking clothes. He looked quite feminine as well, but there was a touch of manliness in him.

"Uhm, I just got a job here and..."

His eyes widened. "Really? I work here too! I'm guessing you're our new shop assistant then? The boss has been going crazy looking for people to work here."

"Oh, uhm... I'm Kim Hyunsoo." She smiled, still feeling nervous, but glad to know at least one of them was nice.

"I'm Kwon Jiyong. I'm a shop assistant too and there's someone else. He's probably already inside. Let's go in and I'll introduce you."

Hyunsoo nodded and followed Jiyong inside the shop. The door made a ringing noise when it was opened, and another guy from behind the counter looked up.

"Hey Minhyuk! This is our new shop assistant, Kim Hyunsoo."

"Nice to meet you," Hyunsoo said smiling.

Minhyuk smiled back. "You too."

Minhyuk looked just as friendly. He had a cute kind of smile and a dimple. He was dressed more simply too.

"So far so good," thought Hyunsoo happily.