Chapter 68

Caged and Guarded

That Friday flew by really quickly, with Sohee starting to warm up to Hyunsoo and not seeking attention from Jungkook as much as before. Jimin still didn’t think Sohee was all that great to become friends with, but he wasn’t being mean or acting out either.

There was more school homework to do and the group project to worry about since the next batch of tests were coming up soon.

Instead of that, something completely different was stuck in Hyunsoo and Jungkook’s mind: Jinyoung and Sohee’s paintballing date the very next day. They had decided together that instead of leaving them to it on their own, they would go and spy on them, joining in with the activities but not making it known that they are even there.

Saturday morning came, and Hyunsoo was already outside waiting to meet with Jungkook, but he was taking a while to come out.

 

Where the heck are you kook?

-Hyunsoo

 

Hyunsoo stared at her phone and then looked up at Jungkook’s house. And she thought she took ages to get ready…

 

Coming out now…

-Jungkook

 

She looked up from her phone again in time to see Jungkook open his front door and run towards her waving.

“Took you long enough!” she shouted across.

Jungkook smirked. “Gotta look my best you know.”

Hyunsoo snorted. “Okay, come on girl, we’ve got to go.”

Jungkook hit Hyunsoo’s shoulder playfully and together they set off find Jinyoung and Sohee at the paintballing location.

When they arrived, it didn’t take them long to find Sohee at all. Although she had to change into the paintballing suits and wear a helmet, Sohee looked glamorous… maybe a bit too much for an activity like this.

“Won’t she be uncomfortable?” Jungkook wondered out loud.

“She probably already is,” Hyunsoo said.

They both stayed hidden from Sohee’s line of vision and waited for Jinyoung to turn up, which happened only 5 minutes later. Hyunsoo and Jungkook peeked at the two greeting each other and smiling awkwardly. For a long time, there was no talking after that. They just stood there, waiting for people who weren’t even going to turn up. They didn’t even go in to change into the paintballing suit. It had almost been half an hour since Jinyoung had come and they were still sitting outside the camp waiting for no one.

Jungkook had finally lost his patience then. “What in the world do they think they’re doing?” he said, feeling irritated at his hiding position now. He had already been uncomfortable before, but now he was taking his impatience out on his hiding location.

“Maybe soon they’ll realise no one’s coming…” Hyunsoo said hopefully, trying to lighten Jungkook’s mood.

“Yeah, right.” Jungkook was getting grumpy now. “They’re that desperate for other people to join. Can’t even have a normal conversation with one another.”

“Jungkook! Look!” Hyunsoo said and pointed at the couple.

Jungkook had been too busy complaining about everything that he had missed the moment when Jinyoung finally got up and held on to Sohee’s arm. They looked as if they were talking, and then next thing they knew, Jinyoung was leading Sohee inside to change into their suits finally.

“We need to get closer to hear them talking,” Hyunsoo said.

After the coast was clear, Jungkook and Hyunsoo put their hoods up and moved amongst other strangers to also go inside and change into their suits and helmet, making their disguise easier as well. Jungkook moved Hyunsoo to the side when they noticed Jinyoung and Sohee walking past them, quickly and smoothly they followed them and their activity group leader to the first game of paintballing.

“I don’t get why the others didn’t come?” Sohee said.

She and Jinyoung were right in front of Hyunsoo and Jungkook. Hyunsoo saw Jinyoung shrug and then look at her sideways.

“I don’t know… but I think I have a few guesses, one of which could be right,” Jinyoung said.

Jungkook nudged Hyunsoo and smirked.

“Really? What guesses then?” Sohee asked.

Jinyoung paused, before answering, “Don’t take this the wrong way though. I have a feeling… that we’ve been set up.”

There was an awkward silence.

“Really?” Sohee said, rather than asked. “You know, it makes sense. You might be right. Why would they do that though?”

Jinyoung looked behind him, and for a horrible moment Hyunsoo thought he recognised her and Jungkook through the helmet, but he had glanced back behind them. Jungkook let out a sigh of relief.

“I’m not sure, but I think we should just make the most of this time, don’t you think?” Jinyoung said.

“What do you mean? Enjoy this date?”

“Well, yeah, a date if you want to call it.”

There was another pause.

“So it’s not really a date?” Sohee asked.

Jinyoung understood instantly what Sohee meant. “Uh, no! I mean yes! I mean… it can be a date…” Sohee looked at him weirdly. Jinyoung added, “I mean… it is a date.”

“A date, huh. Okay, I guess you’re right. Let’s enjoy this time together.”

Hyunsoo noticed a smile stretch onto Jinyoung’s face. She looked at Jungkook and smiled at him, who smiled back while rubbing his hands together – like a housefly usually does.