Chapter 38

Caged and Guarded

For exactly one whole week, Hyunsoo and everyone else in the first year of high school went through test after test the whole day. The school days felt longer and the time everyone spent at home seemed too short for good long revision sessions. Hyunsoo was regretting not having started revising weeks ago like Jungkook. She found out, during this week, that Jungkook was actually one of the cleverest students in the year. This was completely unexpected, considering his normal behaviour in school, especially during classes. He always joked around but somehow seemed to be doing well in his tests, according to his feeling and confidence. However, Hyunsoo tried to work as much as possible at school, but ended up procrastinating at home.

On a few brighter notes, Hyunsoo was beginning to grasp the art of not being so awkward with Jinyoung anymore. Jungkook was now always travelling home after school with Hyunsoo and Jimin, though his weekly girls never left him. Joy took up the empty day spaces where some of his old weekly girls used to be. She was his main girl, it seemed. Not that Hyunsoo cared…

Well, she kept reminding herself: if it weren’t for Jungkook, her father would still be here, beating her. Which lead to her conclusion of, she should care a little bit. Maybe she just wanted an excuse to care, or maybe she wanted to comfort herself with this thought, she didn’t know. But nearly everyday when she looked at Jungkook, she would have this thought. It didn’t help either that Jungkook would always become nicer on their journey home than at school, which also confused her about what he thought of Hyunsoo. She really wanted to know how he felt, as opposed to her own feelings.

When the tests were all finished, it was already the last week of October, which of course meant… Halloween! The school was holding a ‘Fright Night’ on the eve of Halloween and everyone in the school was planning to attend. The first year high school students were having their ‘Fright Night’ in one of the sporting halls, whereas the other two years had the more formal halls for their event, due to the seniority. It was still exciting though; Jimin and Hyunsoo could not stop talking about whom they would go as. Everyone asked each other constantly for ideas and suggestions.

 

On Wednesday morning, exactly a week since they had started their tests and the first day back to a normal school day, Hyunsoo went to her classroom with Hoseok, Taehyung and Jimin; their lesson together was Writing. It was the lesson that they had all decided to plan how Hoseok should befriend Jungkook again. They hadn’t talked to each other at all since the camping trip, and even Hyunsoo was starting to worry. She could begin to see how lonely Jungkook actually was. He was only ever with some other boys from the classroom, but his time was mostly spending with his weekly girls. Was that why he wanted to start walking home with Hyunsoo and Jimin? Hyunsoo was more determined than before to help Hoseok, so she brought in Taehyung as well and filled him in, hoping to help him and make him join them not just as a classmate, but also as a friend.

“I think Hoseok should just simply go up to him and catch up on gossip,” Taehyung suggested.

The rest all looked at him.

“Maybe that’s too quick. Jungkook would get angry and punch Hoseok…” Jimin said, trying to hide his smile.

Hoseok simply laughed and then looked around for more suggestions.

“Maybe,” Hyunsoo started, “You could text him first. It’s not like he will exactly ignore your text. He will read it, but might not reply…”

“That’s enough!” Jimin said excitedly, “All you have to text is the important stuff, and when he sees it, he’ll be curious and try to talk to you!”

“What do I text though?” Hoseok asked.

They all stared back, thinking hard.

“Why don’t you text him, saying that it wasn’t you who spread the secret,” Hyunsoo said.

Just then, the bell went, so the rest all glanced at her for a second before packing their books away.

“I’ll think about it,” Hoseok said, before walking away to his next lesson.

“Really feel sorry for him. I would hate it if I lost you…” Jimin said, standing beside her.

Hyunsoo felt her heart warm up. He was saying the exact same thing Hyunsoo had been thinking of before when deciding to help Hoseok.

 

At break time, Hyunsoo was sitting on the bench waiting for Jimin to come back with his food, when Jinyoung came to sit across from her with a smile on his face.

“The tests are finished,” he started, “So I will finally ask you, can I take you out for dinner this Saturday?”

Jinyoung was looking at Hyunsoo with full concentration under his playful smile. She felt somehow embarrassed under his watch, but still managed a nod and a smile. “I’d love to.”

“Really? Great!” Jinyoung looked excited now, “I’ll see you at 6pm then.”

“Okay. Where are you taking me then?”

“Surprise, of course.”

“I need to know what to wear though.”

“Well, just don’t wear something that can easily fly up,” he laughed, “Casual wear is good enough.”

“Are you sure?” She was looking at him seriously, but Jinyoung was chuckling.

“Of course, if you want I can rate you when you walk out the door.”

They laughed together, and Jimin turned up with his food.

“I’ll go back to basketball then… my team mates are calling,” he said, and waved at both Hyunsoo and Jimin as he walked away.

Hyunsoo turned to Jimin immediately and filled him in of the ten minutes that he had missed. They both giggled together and coughed on their food, when finally Jimin took a sip of his apple juice and looked at Hyunsoo.

“Do you really like Jinyoung?”

Hyunsoo was taken aback for a second, and then answered, “Well, I don’t know properly yet. Jinyoung wanted to take me out and he insisted I go on at least the first date with him…”

“That’s alright. I just wanted to know, because of… Jungkook.”

It went quiet for a second.

“What about him?”

“You know what I’m talking about. And my suspicious are getting bigger and bigger. I think… I think he might really like you…”

“How can you say that? And don’t say the same thing as last time!” Hyunsoo was having a panic attack inside her, but she tried to keep calm. Even though she didn’t have to bother really. Jimin knew Hyunsoo well enough that she was panicking right now.

“The way he looks at you, Hyunsoo. I just see it… I don’t know how to explain it in words…”

Suddenly, the bell went, indicating the end of break.

 “Let’s not talk about this then…” Hyunsoo grabbed her bag and started walking to the next lesson.

“Hyunsoo, you’re going to have to face it someday.”

Still, he followed her not uttering another word on the subject. He knew he would have to bring it up again though. He wanted Hyunsoo to learn her feelings sooner, before things went wrong.