Chapter 63

Caged and Guarded

Hyunsoo’s thoughts were even more confused than they were before, and by the time it was the end of the day, she wasn’t feeling any better than she did in the morning.

What happened next was something no one was expecting to see, especially since no one in the school had seen Jungkook and Hyunsoo talk properly since Hyejin unveiled the bra and thong. Hyunsoo was just about to walk into the homeroom classroom, when out of nowhere, Jungkook’s hand popped out from behind her and grabbed her hand, pulling her backwards and towards the locker rooms.

“What the– ” Hyunsoo cried, looking at Jungkook with widened eyes.

“I can’t take this anymore!” he said, he looked really pissed off, “You avoiding me, my friends treating me worse than when I actually was bad and now my best friend taking your side!”

“Hoseok?” Hyunsoo said without realising it.

“Yeah,” he replied, running his hand through his hair, “Why are you doing this to me? Why won’t you talk to me?”

“Why didn’t you come to me first?”

“What?”

“You didn’t come to explain yourself to me,” Hyunsoo said sadly, feeling a sudden need to erupt into a stressful speech and cry.

“I couldn’t! This is something we have to do in person. I wanted to give you some time to think, which I needed as well actually, but the next day when you just completely blanked me. I felt so angry at everything that happened and I couldn’t do anything about it.”

Hyunsoo pushed Jungkook away from her. “What about me? How do you think I feel right now? I don’t even know who and what to believe! Did you really think I would come running to you after all that Hyejin said? And what about your argument with Joy? I heard you. She really did come over your house. What did you get up to then, huh? If you want to talk in person about this so bad. You can explain yourself now.”

They stared at each other, both annoyed and angry, for a long while before anyone opened their mouth to speak. They didn’t care anymore if they were being loud and someone could hear them.

Jungkook took a step further away from Hyunsoo and started talking. “You want an explanation? I changed.” He looked down for a while, as if trying to find the courage to talk, and then looked up at Hyunsoo again and continued. “I changed so much, that at some point I realised, I didn’t really change. I was just going back to my usual old self.”

Hyunsoo didn’t know what to say to that. “What do you mean?”

“Did you think I was born into having weekly girls?” he said, letting out a laugh, and then paused. “I wanted to apologise to everyone. Joy was one of them, in fact, she needed most of my apologies. I messed her up the worst.”

“So,” Hyunsoo said, “She was there because… because you wanted to… apologise?”

Jungkook didn’t say anything. Hyunsoo accepted that as a yes. She didn’t know how to react. She wasn’t even sure of what to say, so they both stood in silence once again.

This time, it was Hyunsoo who broke the silence. “This doesn’t explain the… things she left behind in your room,” she said quietly and cautiously. She didn’t want to further upset Jungkook. She was starting to feel bad for ignoring him. Hyunsoo should have been there for him when he was being accused like that.

“It’s from ages ago,” he said simply. It was as if he suddenly had no will left to speak, but after another minute of tension between them, he said, “I talked with Joy and she told me it must have been months before when she left her stuff in my room. There was a bag full of things.”

Hyunsoo gasped. “But then that argument.”

“Yeah,” Jungkook nodded, “I didn’t know that before. You know me, my room is never clean. Don’t even know what’s laying around in my room.”

They smiled at each other. The stressful tension between them had disappeared now. Out of the corner of Hyunsoo’s eye, she saw Hoseok and Jimin standing outside the homeroom classroom watching her and Jungkook. They noticed Hyunsoo looking at them and quickly went back into the classroom. Although, Jimin couldn’t resist pulling his tongue out at Hyunsoo before he left with Hoseok. Hyunsoo giggled.

“What?” Jungkook asked. He hadn’t noticed Hoseok and Jimin at all.

“Nothing,” Hyunsoo said smiling, and then after a deep breath said, “I’m sorry for yesterday and today. Jimin even told me to talk to you, but I don’t know why I, I just couldn’t bring myself to face you. I’m so sorry Jungkook!”

He was smiling now. “Don’t apologise. It happens.”

Well, Hyunsoo thought, whatever this ‘it’ is I hope this doesn’t happen again.

Jungkook walked closer to Hyunsoo and pulled her in for a hug, letting Hyunsoo rest her head on his chest. They stayed like that for a long time… until someone cleared their throat and they automatically jumped apart.

It was the homeroom teacher. “I just dismissed the class. Where you both here all this time?” he asked.

Jungkook and Hyunsoo had no time to react or think of an excuse, but luckily the teacher started smiling ever so slightly.

“You’re in luck! I’m in a good mood today. Go on, get your bags and go home. I’ll let you off this one time.” And he whistled away.

“Well,” Jungkook leaned into Hyunsoo’s ear and whispered, “At least this day is ending nicely.”

Hyunsoo laughed and took his hand, leading him back to the classroom. Jungkook stopped her just in time, when he realised what she was doing.

“No, Hyunsoo,” he said.

“We have to end this now.”

Hyunsoo gave Jungkook’s hand a squeeze and lead him into the classroom. Everyone looked up when they walked in. Hyunsoo and Jungkook walked right up to Hyejin’s desk.

“Get up,” Hyunsoo ordered. She could feel her brain surging through volcanic waves. She could also feel herself become angrier and crazier, as she watched Hyejin’s face go from a smirk to surprised confusion to an annoyed look.

Jungkook was next to Hyunsoo, bringing out his swagger cold city guy aura and staring down at Hyejin.

Things were about to go down