Chapter 4

Caged and Guarded

The next morning, Hyunsoo woke up quietly making sure her dad wouldn’t wake up and started getting ready to leave for school. It was when she was putting on her school backpack when she heard the knock coming from the front door. Hyunsoo quickly grabbed the lunch her mum had left for her before leaving for work and went to check who was outside.

She opened the door slowly when, “Hyunsoo!!” Jimin rushed forwards to hug her by the neck.

Hyunsoo was taken aback by the sudden visit. “Jimin, what—”

“I was so worried! I wasn’t sure if I should go home or what. I didn’t know whether I should come climb the roof into your bedroom, but then I realised that’s too soon for someone who you met just that day. Don’t worry, it’ll be my plan for the next time this happens!” Jimin spoke so quickly she had to go over it in her head. He let go of the hug and took a look at Hyunsoo’s face. “You haven’t been crying have you? What kind of a father does that!”

“Shh, keep it down Jimin. I’m fine…”

“Don’t lie!” And he hugged her again.

She smiled. “I’m feeling better because of you. Thank you Jimin.”

He smiled and let go of the hug, “Now, tell me what’s going on. I can’t just let go of what I saw.”

“Well… it’s a long explanation,” Hyunsoo looked down avoiding his eyes, “Let’s go get the bus and I’ll tell you.”

“You know, you don’t have to tell me what you don’t want to, but I need to know what just happened.”

Hyunsoo nodded and locked the front door behind her as they both left for the bus stop. It felt like a very short journey to school compared to yesterday, but Jimin knew more about Hyunsoo’s life by the end. Although he didn’t say it out loud, Jimin felt that it was up to him to keep Hyunsoo’s spirit up and to keep her smiling. Hyunsoo was slightly easy to read and Jimin knew she wasn’t one to simply make friends. He wanted to be her friend she could count on.

 

“Hyunsoo and Jimin, you’re both late.”

They quickly took their seats and got their books out, while their teacher continued explaining the weird looking vowels. Hyunsoo had been dreading this lesson… German. She hated languages. What she hated even more than that was the fact that she couldn’t even see the board in front. The boy was obviously taller than Hyunsoo.

“Excuse me,” she tapped the boy’s shoulder, but as soon as he turned around, she lost her voice and became flustered. “Uhm…”

Luckily, he turned out to be a nice guy. “Let me guess, you can’t see the board? Don’t worry, I can see you’re quite short.” And he chuckled.

Hyunsoo felt awkward and had no idea what to say, but Jimin beside her was laughing quietly. “This is Taehyung,” he whispered by way of introducing, “I met him while going to school yesterday. He takes the same bus!”

“Oh, nice to meet you,” Hyunsoo smiled at Taehyung, who returned the smile before turning back and moving slightly to the side for her.

“Sowon! Sana! What’s with all this arguing? Jungkook, what’s going on?”

“Sir, I think they’re confused. I don’t even know them.”

Hyunsoo turned her attention to the front and saw the same black haired boy who sits next to her in the corner from homeroom.

Sana stood up looking stressed over the situation. “Sir, Jungkook was with me all day yesterday, but Sowon is saying he’s been with her today. He’s mine!”

“I’m no one’s.”

“But Jungkook! You—”

“Shut up.”

“Jungkook, that’s no way to behave! Go outside!” The teacher looked extremely upset at how he was unable to handle the situation.

“Sir,” said a new voice, “I think Jungkook has been playing with the girls. He should sort this situation out since he’s the one who created this mess.”

“And who are you to just jump in?” Jungkook scoffed.

“I’m Jinyoung and I want you to stop messing with people’s feelings.”

“Leave Jungkook alone, you !” The girl next to me had stood up. It was Joy. Everyone at school knew her. She was the queen’s sidekick.

“Hey!”

Everyone turned to Hyunsoo. It was totally unexpected coming from her. Even Jimin looked at her with wide eyes. She didn’t realise she said it out loud, but she wanted to do something about the situation. The only problem was, Hyunsoo was shaking out of discomfort. She felt extremely shy as all eyes were on her, when she stood up and turned to Joy next to her.

“Uhm, well… Jinyoung is only saying what he thinks is right. That’s… uhh… no reason to call him an—”

“?” Jungkook laughed, “Can’t lie though. You and—”

“Hey! Stop insulting others when you’re the one in the wrong!”

There was a lot of tension building up and the poor teacher had no idea what to do. Nearly half the class was stood up to see what was happening between Jungkook and Jinyoung.

And then, out of nowhere, a punch came through hitting Jinyoung in the guts.