Chapter 24

Caged and Guarded

The next day Hyunsoo woke up to the sound of a bell ringing in her ears, or at least that’s what it felt like. It was actually the teacher walking around all the tents while banging the drum hung around his neck.

“I hate camping,” groaned Hyejin from the side, and started moving under her covers.

Hyunsoo rolled her eyes but didn’t say anything. It didn’t take long for everyone to get ready and come out, only to find breakfast made by the teacher. It wasn’t too bad; it was better than what they did last night. Hyunsoo chatted with Jimin for a while until everyone had finished eating and the teacher called everyone’s attention.

“It’s the second day of your camping trip and also the activities day. Everyone will be put into groups again and will be sent off into different parts of the forest in order to complete your activities, find clues and then get to a destination. The first group that arrives will get a prize. There are prizes for the first three groups, and the group to come last will have to go through another extra challenge.” The way the teacher was explaining everything made Hyunsoo feel like this was some kind of survival show. This was supposed to be a bonding camp trip…

By the end of the group making, Hyunsoo found her group to be of Jungkook, Joy, Hyejin and Tiffany. Somehow she had ended up with the worst people.

Hyejin was exchanging glances with Tiffany as their names had been called up.

“This is the perfect time to do it,” Hyejin whispered fiercely into Tiffany’s ears.

Hyunsoo, oblivious to the cold looks from Hyejin and Tiffany, was trying to look cheerful and excited for the activities, though it was hard when she was being stared at so intensely by Jungkook. It was different from the other times though… this one seemed colder.

Soon, Hyunsoo’s group set out into the forest. Hyejin and Tiffany were sticking together, so was Joy to Jungkook, which left Hyunsoo all on her own.

“We’re here!” Joy suddenly shouted happily.

There was a huge square made by twigs and logs, in which there were more squares (4x4). On the side that the group was standing on, there were three mats lying on the ground. It was pretty obvious what they had to do.

“I’ll go first.” Jungkook pushed aside everyone in his way and took a mat, throwing it on one of the squares. As soon as the mat landed on the square, the whole area in that small square fell down into a hole that happened to be there.

“I guess that was wrong…” Tiffany said.

It took them nearly half an hour to finally get to the end. In which all throughout, Hyejin kept whispering to Tiffany, making sure their voices were kept low and no one heard them. Joy kept shouting about happily and trying to get Jungkook’s attention, and Jungkook had the coldest stare on his face every time he looked anywhere near Hyunsoo.

Joy was flattening out a piece of paper that they had found at the end of the last square.

“It runs but never walks, it murmurs but never talks, it has a bed but never sleeps, it has a mouth but never eats,” Joy read out loud, then with a puzzled look added, “What in the world is this supposed to mean?”

Everyone else looked just as confused, only Jungkook had his face screwed in some kind of concentration.

“It has to be something liquid,” he said. It was the first time he had opened his mouth since they had set out as a group. “It has a mouth but never eats.”

This clicked something in Hyunsoo’s head. “It runs but never walks! Like a river or waves?”

Jungkook looked at Hyunsoo, still holding his cold look. “It murmurs but never talks. It can’t be waves, they’re too loud.”

“So… the river then?” Hyejin asked, looking around.

Jungkook and Hyunsoo nodded, keeping their gazes away from each other. Joy looked at Jungkook, then at Hyunsoo, clearly picking up on the tension between them finally.

“There must be a river nearby then?” Tiffany asked, but it was more of a rhetorical question.

They set off for the next location, spending time longer there than they had for the first activity. By the time they were heading towards their final destination, it was already past lunchtime and nearing early evening. They hadn’t thought that this would take as long as it did, but still, they had water and snacks from home in their bags.

Hyejin started nudging Tiffany, just before they were about to arrive to the last location. Tiffany looked at Hyejin and nodded.

“Hyunsoo, I hear there’s someone you really like! Is it Jinyoung?” Tiffany laughed.

“Or Jungkook?” Hyejin added, giggling along with Tiffany.

Jungkook looked up in surprise, but settled his face back into his cold poker face. He wasn’t staring at the shocked Hyunsoo; instead he looked at Tiffany and Hyejin laughing together. Joy also looked surprised, but stared at Hyunsoo with eyes full of jealousy.

“What?” Hyunsoo said. It was the last thing she expected hearing from anyone.

“Didn’t Jinyoung confess his feelings for you?” How did Hyejin find out?

Hyejin’s laughter just seemed to get louder and louder to Hyunsoo’s ears. She saw Jungkook finally look at her.

“Is that true?” Joy asked, keeping her eyes on Hyunsoo, whose face was beginning to heat up in embarrassment.

“I- uh…” The words were stuck in . Hyunsoo swallowed and looked down at her feet. What now?