Chapter 9

Can You Smile

Sooyoung was the same at home. She preferred to stay in her bedroom all the time. Even Mrs. Kim had lost the way to make her happy.

 

“Taesung-ah, you really don’t know what happen to Sooyoung?” asked Mr. Park.

 

“I don’t know. She never behaved like this before,” answered Mr. Park.

 

“Myungsoo-ah, did you do something that made her angry?” asked Mrs. Kim to her son.

 

“I haven’t even spoken to her since she came here. How can I make her angry?” replied Myungsoo. His mother went to the kitchen to take something. A few minutes later, she came out with a food tray. She gave it to Myungsoo.

 

“Go upstairs and gave this to her. Don’t ever think about leaving the room until she finishes this,” ordered Mrs. Kim.

 

“Why does it have to be me? Tell Myungjun to go since he’s close to her,” he resisted.

 

“Hyung, you’re the only person in this house that didn’t even try to console her,” said Myungjun. Mrs. Kim smiled when she heard Myungjun’s words. Myungsoo sighed before he reluctantly took the tray and brought it upstairs. Behind him, his mother and brother were high fiving happily. He knocked the door but Sooyoung didn’t answer. He knocked again.

 

“Come in,” said Sooyoung. Myungsoo opened the door and entered. Sooyoung, who was looking outside the window, didn’t know who actually came.

 

“Eat this,” said ,Myungsoo. Sooyoung looked around.

 

“You?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Yes, me. Who did you think it was?”

 

“I thought it was your mother,” said Sooyoung. She looked outside again.

 

“Yah, you have to finish this so that I can get out from this room,” said Myungsoo.

 

“What do you mean?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“My mother said I couldn’t leave this room until you finish all the food,” answered Myungsoo. Sooyoung smiled.

 

“She really knows how to make sure I eat my meals,” said Sooyoung. Then, her smile disappeared. Myungsoo looked at her.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

 

“If my mother was here, she would do the same thing that your mother did to me,” answered Sooyoung. He didn’t say anything. She sighed. “She left when I was seven. She was on her way to my school because that day I had a performance, a class performance. The night before, she told me she couldn’t come. She gave a lot of advices so that I will not get scared on stage. We took a lot of pictures together that night. I wore the fairy dress that I should wear the next morning and omma wore the one and only dress that she had, the dress that she wore on her honeymoon. I didn’t expect her to show up at my performance, but I also didn’t expect not to see her at all after that day,” she told him the whole story. She cried but no sound came out. Myungsoo wanted to calm her but he didn’t know how. He’s not the type of person that could treat women nicely. She wiped away her tears and chuckled. “I’m sorry that I’m like this. You already had trouble because of me and I’m telling you something that’s not important at all. Mianhe,” she apologized, sat at her studying desk and began to eat the food. Myungsoo watched her eat silently. He saw sadness in her eyes, a sadness that couldn’t be treated by anything. He suddenly felt sorry for her because he always saying bad stuffs to her and not knowing that she already had that kind of misery inside her. When she had finished everything, he quickly looked away so that she didn’t know that he’d been watching her.

 

“What’s in that chest?” asked Myungsoo when he saw the chest.

 

“Oh, that? Everything in that chest belonged to my mother, and also our memories together,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Is that the chest that you took when your house was on fire?” he asked again.

 

“Yes, that’s the only thing that left of her. I couldn’t left it inside and let the fire destroy it,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“You almost got killed,” said Myungsoo. Sooyoung smiled.

“I wish Junhyung didn’t find me back then. If I died, I’ll be able to meet her again,” said Sooyoung. Myungsoo didn’t know what else should he said. He picked up the empty tray and left. “Myungsoo-ah,” called Sooyoung. He turned around. “Komawo,” she said. He left without saying anything. Sooyoung smiled. “He really has the gentle side in him. If he shows it even a little, I’m sure he’ll be a great friend,” she said to herself.

 

Myungsoo who was still standing outside her room heard what she said. When he heard that, his heart suddenly beat faster. He didn’t even know the reason. He hit his chest to slow down the beats, but it got faster. Finally, he left that place before anyone saw him there.