Chapter 38

Can You Smile

 

“Are you okay?” he asked. Before she could answer, the thunder attacked again. She screamed and hugged him. When she realized what happened, she quickly let go off him.

 

“You know you’re scared of the storm, then why didn’t you call me?” he asked angrily.

 

“Well, I didn’t even talk to you for the past few days, I’m afraid you won’t help me,” she answered.

 

“I’ve promised to your father that I’ll take care of you, so I will take care of you no matter we’re in a good condition or not,” he said.

 

“Komawo,” she said. Both of them get back in the room. Sooyoung sat on her bad and Myungsoo sat on the chair next to the window. None of them said anything to each other for almost 15 minutes. Then, Myungsoo broke the silence.

 

“How are you doing these past few days?” he asked.

 

“Other than not talking to you, I was great,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“There’s something that I’m curious about. Why didn’t you talk to me? Have I done something wrong to you?” he asked.

 

“I don’t know. I just don’t feel like talking to you,” she answered carelessly.

 

“That’s your reason?” he asked.

 

“Yes, that’s my reason. Why?” It was her turn to ask.

 

“Nothing, just want to know. That’s a relief, at least I haven’t done anything to you,” he said. Again, silence the room.

 

*Hurry, what are you waiting for? Just tell him that you like him* Sooyoung said in her mind.

 

*What should I do now? Should I tell her that I like her?* Those questions keep playing in his head. At that moment, Myungjun entered the room.

 

“Hyung, noona, omma calls you,” said Myungjun. Sooyoung quickly got down from her bed.

 

“Come, let’s go,” said Sooyoung. She looked at Myungsoo who was still sitting. “What are you doing? Hurry up,” she said.

 

“Let’s sit down for a while. I have something to tell you,” said Mrs. Kim when they had arrived. They sat on the sofa in front of her.

 

“What’s wrong, eomoni? Did anything bad happen?” asked Sooyoung anxiously.

 

“No, there’s nothing happen. Don’t worry,” answered Mrs. Kim.

 

“Then, what is it?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“Your uncle is sick. Myungjun, your father and I are leaving to Canada tomorrow. We might be staying there for a few days,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“What? Does that mean I have to stay with Sooyoung here?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“Yes, there’s no other way. You have school and since this year is a very important year, I don’t want you to skip classes,” answered Mrs. Kim.

“But, eomoni, we can’t stay together,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Says who?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

“Us!” answered Myungsoo and Sooyoung at the same time.

 

“You don’t have any other choice. I’ve made my decision and nothing can make me change it,” said Mrs. Kim in a strict voice. Then, she left them and went upstairs. The two teenagers exchanged unsatisfied looks.

 

“What are you looking at me at?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I can’t imagine going through the days with no one but you in the house,” he answered.

 

“Do you think I want that to happen?” asked Sooyoung angrily.

 

“This is going to be the worst experience I’ve ever had,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Well, then, it will be the most dreadful thing that have ever happened in my entire life and also hereafter,” she retaliated and went upstairs.