Chapter 19

Can You Smile

 

“WHAT!” he yelled.

 

“You heard me. If you don’t do it, then I’ll never forgive you,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Arasso, arasso, I’ll do it,” said Myungsoo. She smiled and pulled him near to their camping site.

 

“Myungjun -ah, come here quickly,” called Sooyoung. Myungjun approached them.

 

“What is it, noona?” asked Myungjun.

 

“Can you help me bury your brother?” Sooyoung asked him for help.

 

“Why?”

 

“He told me that he’ll do anything that I want him to do so that I’ll forgive him,” explained Sooyoung.

 

“Okay, I’ll help you,” said Myungjun.

 

“Yah, Myungjun -ah, are you really going to do this to your brother?” asked Myungsoo, irritated.

 

“Noona is my sister too, so I also have to obey her,” answered Myungjun. He and Sooyoung started to dig a big hole.

 

“Can we join you?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

“Omma, you too?” said Myungsoo.

 

“Of course. I’m so happy that my beloved son had finally thrown away his ego and apologized to Sooyoung. I’m so proud of you,” said Mrs. Kim. All of them helped Sooyoung to dig the hole, even Mr. Kim and Mr. Park.

 

“Hyung, lay down quickly,” ordered Myungjun. Myungsoo hesitated. “Hurry!” urged Myungjun. Myungsoo had no choice but to lay down in the hole. Everyone started to bury him.

 

“Do it slowly. The sands are entering my eyes,” said Myungsoo. When they had finished, everyone looked very satisfied with their works.

 

“Myungsoo -ah, sleep well,” said Mr. Kim. They laughed and left Myungsoo alone. Everyone was having fun playing games. Sooyoung kept looking at him to make sure that he’s fine. Mrs. Kim smiled.

 

“Go,” she said.

 

“Ne?” Sooyoung didn’t get it.

 

“I know you want to accompany him. Go on,” said Mrs. Kim. Sooyoung smiled.

 

“Komapsumnida,” said Sooyoung. She took a wet towel and sat next to Myungsoo. Since he was closing his eyes, he didn’t realize that Sooyoung was at his side. When she wiped his face, he screamed.

 

“Yah, you really scared me,” he said angrily. She continued wiping his face. “What are you doing?” he asked.

 

“Sands are sticking on your face. I’m cleaning them,” she answered.

 

“Komawo,” said Myungsoo when she had finished. Sooyoung laid next to him. Both of them were watching the stars on the sky.

 

“There are so many stars tonight,” said Sooyoung.

 

“You’re right,” said Myungsoo. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Do you think we can be friends after today’s over?” asked Myungsoo. Sooyoung looked at him.

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yes, I know you won’t believe it, but I can’t help but to envy towards you,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Why?” she asked.

 

“You always have friends who will take care of you no matter when and where, who will always support you whenever you’re down, who will make you happy when you’re sad,” said Myungsoo.

 

“I’m afraid I can’t grant you wish,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Why not? I’m not asking for something big, I just want to be your friend,” said Myungsoo.

 

“How can you be my friend now when I’ve already assume you as my friend?” asked Sooyoung.