Chapter 35

Can You Smile

 

“Are you thinking about Myungsoo?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

Sooyoung looked at her. “How did you know?” she asked.

 

“Sweetheart, I’m a married woman, of course I can tell when a girl likes a boy,” said Mrs. Kim. Sooyoung blushed. “You don’t have to be shy. It’ll be weird if someone at your age is not interested in this kind of relationship,” she added. Sooyoung took a deep breath and sighed. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I don’t want this feeling, eomoni, not towards Myungsoo,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Why not?”

 

“I don’t think I’ll be able match his level. He’s cleverer than me, handsome, rich, in one word, he’s perfect. He prefers someone better than me. I don’t want him to sacrifice his future because of me,” said Sooyoung. Mrs. Kim touched Sooyoung’s cheeks.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, from time to time, I’m starting to know why your father loved you so much, and from time to time, my love towards you grows stronger and stronger. Not just me, everyone in this house feels the same way.”

 

“Well, not Myungsoo,” Sooyoung added. Mrs. Kim made Sooyoung looked at her.

 

“I don’t know how far you have like him, but I know that one day he will like you. Sometimes, I also feel like he already has feelings towards you, but he didn’t say anything because his ego is higher. Give him a chance to put down his ego, and then he’ll confess to you,” said Mrs. Kim. When Sooyoung didn’t say anything, she added, “I really want you to be my daughter in law. Even your father knew about this.”

 

“I’ll think about it, eomoni. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try,” said Sooyoung. Mrs. Kim hugged her tightly.

 

“Komawo, Sooyoung-ah,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

 

After they had finished their examination, Sooyoung hung out with her friends. The Infinite members(except Myungsoo) were skateboarding while the girls sat on the bench.

 

“Do you think we’ll make it?” asked Hyejung.

 

“We’ve tried so hard, it will be frustrating if we fail,” said Hyesoon.

 

“Which universities are you going to?” asked Hyejung to Sooyoung.

 

“I’m thinking about entering Seoul Institute of the Arts. I want to take photography department,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Really? We’re thinking about that institute too. I want to take theatre and Hyejung wants to take dancing,” said Hyesoon.

 

“That’s great. We can apply together,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Do you know where the boys are going?” asked Hyejung.

 

“Woohyun told me that he’s going to run his father’s company, Hoya said he wants to get an international qualifications for martial arts and he wants to open his own martial arts school, Dongwoo, as you know, wants to be the Korean representative in sports, Sungjong wants to be a fachion designer and Sunggyu wants to become a chef,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“A chef? Are you serious?” asked Hyesoon.

 

“Yeah, a chef. Why do you look like you’re surprise?” said Sooyoung.

 

“Nothing, it’s just that he doesn’t look like he’s interested in cooking,” said Hyejung.

 

“He’s a very good cook. His ddokboki is the best,” said Sooyoung.

 

“When did you taste his cooking?” asked Hyesoon.

 

“On my birthday last year. He made me seaweed soup and ddokboki. Even my father praised his cooking,” answered Sooyoung. When she saw Hyesoon’s face had changed, she quickly hugged her. “Yah, Hyesoon-ah, are you jealous?” she asked.

 

“Aniya, why should I?” she replied.

 

“If you look in the mirror right now, you’ll be surprised. Your face is so pink,” said Hyejung. They laughed.

 

“Why don’t you just confess to him?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I can’t do it. I’m too scared to do it,” answered Hyesoon.

 

“I don’t care, no matter what happen, you must tell him today,” said Hyejung. She went to get Sunggyu. Hyesoon wanted to run away but Sooyoung held her. When Sunggyu and Hyejung arrived, she stayed still.

 

“What is it?” asked Sunggyu.

 

“Ne?” Hyesoon replied.

 

“Hyejung said you want to say something to me. What is it?” he asked again.

 

“Oh… that? Urmm…” she hesitated. Sooyoung poked her ribs. “I like you,” she said without meaning to. She was surprised when Sooyoung poked her.

 

“What did you say? I didn’t hear you,” said Sunggyu.

 

“I said I like you,” Hyesoon told him the truth, but she didn’t dare to look at him. Sunggyu’s face didn’t show a good respond.