Chapter 7

Can You Smile

After the tournament, Sooyoung invited Hyejung, Hyesoon and Infinite( Sunggyu’s group name) to her house for a small celebration party. Everyone was very happy because of their victory.

 

“Ajusshi, your udon are very delicious,” complimented Woohyun.

 

“Kamsahamnida, eat a lot all of you. You’ve done a lot for today’s victory,” said Mr. Park.

 

“We’ll eat a lot!” said all of them.

 

“Ah, Sooyoung-ah, why didn’t you invite Myungsoo along?” asked Mr. Park.

 

“I’m not going to let that jerk spoil this party,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Ajusshi, you know Myungsoo?” asked Sungjong.

 

“Of course I know him. He’s Sooyoung’s manager’s son. Why wouldn’t I know him,” said Mr. Park.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, why didn’t you tell us?” asked Dongwoo.

 

“He’s not that important person. Besides, that’s the last thing that I want other people to know about,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Why is that so? Do you like him?” asked Sunggyu. Everyone laughed.

 

“I will not like him even if he’s the last person that stands on this earth,” answered Sooyoung angrily.

 

“Normally, the person that you hate the most is going to be the person that’s destined for you,” said Hyejung. She also started to join the teasing group. Their laugh grew louder.

 

“If you tease me again, then I’ll finish all of your udon,” Sooyoung threatened them.

 

“Arasso, arasso, we won’t do it again,” said Woohyun quickly. Sooyoung smiled, but a few moments later, she made a weird expression on her face.

 

“Do you guys smell that?” she asked.

 

“Smell what?” Hoya asked her back.

 

“Something’s burning,” she answered. She went to the backyard to check. The others followed her. She was right. The place where her father kept the firewood was burnt and her father was lying on the ground unconscious. “APPA!” she shouted. Dongwoo, who was the toughest among the other boys, quickly lifted Mr. Park away from harm. The rest tried to put out the fire, but failed. Since her house was made by woods, the fire grew faster.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, let’s get out of here. The fire’s too strong,” shouted Hyesoon. She pulled Sooyoung.

 

“Wait, there’s something that I need to take. You guys go first,” said Sooyoung. She quickly left Hyesoon and ran upstairs. Hyesoon had no choice but to get out.

 

“Where’s Sooyoung?” asked Sungyeol.

 

“She’s upstairs. She said there’s something that she needs to take,” answered Hyesoon. At that time, Mr. Park had regained his consciousness.

 

“Ajusshi, are you okay?” asked Sungjong.

 

“I’m fine. Where’s Sooyoung?” he asked for his daughter.

 

“She’s still inside,” answered Hyejung. Mr. Park struggled to get inside to save her, but Sunggyu stopped him. Then, Sunggyu himself went inside to find her. He quickly ran upstairs and started calling her name. He found her unconscious on the floor. Her hand was holding an old looking chest. He lifted her up on his shoulder and holding the chest in another hand. He had barely made it out of the house. When he put Sooyoung down, Mr. Park ran to get his daughter.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, please open your eyes,” he said. Hyejung did CPR on her. When she finally coughed, everyone felt so relieved. Her father hugged her.

 

“Appa, mother’s chest, where is it?” she asked.

 

“Don’t worry, Sooyoung, it’s here,” said Sunggyu. Sooyoung smiled.

 

“Why did you risk your life for that? It’s just an old chest,” asked Mr. Park.

 

“That’s the only thing that can keep me close to omma,” an  swered Sooyoung.