Chapter 31

Can You Smile

 

It’s been three months since Mrs. Park passed away. Sooyoung still hadn’t change. She refused to go out and meet her friends, she always skips her meals, and she hadn’t talk to anyone. She even refused to talk to Mrs. Kim. The whole family gathered in the living room that night.

 

“Omma, what should we do?” asked Myungjun.

 

“I don’t know either, Myungjun -ah,” answered Mrs. Kim.

 

“Myungsoo -ah, have you try to talk to her?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“Ne, appa. I tried everyday, but she didn’t say anything. She didn’t even talk at school either. All of us had tried everything, but nothing works,” answered Myungsoo. Suddenly, there was thunder. All of them looked at each other.

 

“Noona is afraid of storm, right?” asked Myungjun. Mrs. Kim looked at Myungsoo.

 

“Myungsoo -ah, hurry up and go into your room,” she said to her son.

 

“Why?”

 

“She went and slept in your room when there was storm before, right? Maybe she’ll go to your room again,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“Wait a minute, how did you know?” he asked.

 

“All of us knew about it, even late Mr. Park knew about it. That’s why he told you to take care of Sooyoung. Hurry up,” she pushed her son towards the stairs. He had no choice but to do as he’s told. He went into his room and waited. Even when the rain had come down heavily, she still didn’t come to his room. He started to get worried. He decided to go and check on her. He went to her room and opened the door carefully.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, are you here?” he asked as he walked inside. When he saw Sooyoung was crying on the floor at the side of her bed, he quickly ran towards her. “Yah, Sooyoung-ah, kwaenchana? Why are you crying?” he asked nervously.

 

“I miss appa so much. I miss him even more when it storms. I don’t know what to do other than crying. I miss him, Myungsoo -ah,” said Sooyoung in her sobs. He held her hands.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, if you cry like this, he’ll be sad. Your mother will be sad too. You should live your life happily so that they will also be happy up there. You can’t be like this,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Omma died in an accident because she wanted to go to my performance. Now, appa died because he didn’t give the money that he had to the robber because he wanted to buy another racquet for me. Both of the persons that I love the most died because of me. How can I live happily when I think about that?” she said.

 

“Did they ever blame you about it? They haven’t, right? So, what’s the point of thinking about it?” he asked.

 

“You don’t understand,” she said.

 

“I do, and I think I can understand it the most in this family. I also had a good friend back in Canada who died because he saved me from being hit by a car. He died when it was me who supposed to die that night. If you said your parents died because of you, then how do you think I feel when my best friend died in my place? I owe him my life, Sooyoung. At least you won’t feel like you indebted with someone when I have to live with that fact for the rest of my life,” said Myungsoo. He held her shoulders and made her face him. “You can’t blame yourself for everything that happened to you, Sooyoung. There are always something hidden behind everything that happens around you. If you keep on going like this, you won’t get anything in your life. Please, return to Sooyoung that I knew, return to Sooyoung that loves to make people laugh and smile, return to Sooyoung that always cheer up my family, return to Sooyoung that always do the best for herself. Please,” he pleaded. Sooyoung smiled and hugged him. He was so startled that he didn’t do anything.

 

“Komapta, chingu-ya. I don’t know what I should do if you didn’t come here. Komawo, Myungsoo -ah, cheongmal komawo,” she said to him.

 

“Are you still scared of the storm?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“How can someone lose her fear that fast?” she replied. “Can you stay here for the night? Well, at least until I fall asleep,” she asked slowly.

 

“Alright, hurry up and sleep,” he said. Sooyoung went onto her bed. Myungsoo took the chair at her studying desk and sat ext to her bed. “Sleep well,” he said. She nodded. She closed her eyes. In a few minutes, she was already entering her dreams. Myungsoo pulled the blanket up to her neck, left the room and went to his own room. He threw himself on the bed. Then, he too fell asleep.