Chapter 10

Can You Smile

The next day, Sooyoung slowly started to regain back her laughs. Hyejung and Hyesoon felt very happy to have their friend back. Myungsoo, as usual, didn’t even care about those three girls. Sooyoung kept looking at him, but didn’t make it too obvious. When the bell rang, Hyejung and Hyesoon quickly went to Sooyoung.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, would you like to come with us tonight?” asked Hyejung.

 

“Where are you going?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“We want to go and watch movie together. You’ll come with us right?” Hyesoon persuaded.

 

“I’d love to, but I can’t. Because of these past few days, I haven’t done any of my homework yet. I have to finish them quickly,” said Sooyoung. “Mianhe, chingu-ya,” she apologized.

 

“Aniya, kwaenchana. We can go with Infinite. Just make sure you don’t get home too late. It’s dangerous nowadays, a lot of crimes had going around,” said Hyejung.

 

“Arasso, make sure you have fun tonight, okay,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Ne, annyeong, Sooyoung-ah,” said the girls and left. Sooyoung took out her homework and started doing them. She looked at Myungsoo.

 

“You’re not leaving?” she asked.

 

“I will. I want to relax my legs first. Sitting here all day is killing me,” said Myungsoo. She continued doing her homework. “How long are you going to stay here?” he asked.

 

“Until I finished all these,” she answered. He got up and headed towards the door.

 

“Don’t be too late. I don’t want my mother to stay up late just to open the door for you,” said Myungsoo. Sooyoung snorted. He looked at her.

 

“Then, why don’t you open it for me?” she .

 

“In your dreams,” he said then left. Sooyoung smiled.

 

*

 

It’s almost midnight and Sooyoung still didn’t come home. Everyone was worried, including Sookjeong, although he didn’t show it directly.

 

“Omma, when noona is coming?” asked Myungjun.

 

“I don’t know. She was never this late,” answered Mrs. Kim. Myungsoo grabbed his coat and left the house.

 

Sooyoung was walking home alone when she suddenly heard footsteps behind her. When she looked behind her, no one was there. She continued walking. Suddenly, a man appeared from behind a van and blocked her way. She backed away a few steps. Then, she bumped into another man behind her. In no time, she was surrounded by five men.

 

“Hello, young lady. Where are you going?” asked one of them.

 

“Why are you alone?” asked another man.

 

“Don’t you feel scared walking alone on this quiet road?” asked another.

 

“What are you doing? Get out of my way,” said Sooyoung. The men laughed.

 

“She’s playing hard. I love it when a girl is playing hard to get,” said the first men. One of the man covered Sooyoung’s mouth to avoid her from screaming. The other guys held her arms and legs and pulled her into the dark alley. Suddenly, the man that was holding her right leg was pulled backwards. All the guys let go off her and went to help their friends. She screamed in pain because they just threw her away. She still didn’t know who helped her because her view was blocked by the wall of the alley. She saw the men that were attacking her just now ran away. She heard footsteps approaching her. She was so scared. Tears were coming out from her eyes. What if the person that saved her was worse than the previous guys?