Chapter 25

Can You Smile

Only Myungsoo and Sooyoung were at home that night. Mr. Park was at his udon shop, whereas Myungsoo’s parents and Myungjun went out to buy the household needs. The two teenagers were sitting in the living room with nothing to do.

 

“What should we do now?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I don’t know,” answered Myungsoo.

 

“I’m hungry. Hurry up and cook something for me,” ordered Sooyoung.

 

“Why do I have to cook for you?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“You lost the game, remember?” said Sooyoung. He hit his forehead and quickly went to the kitchen to cook. Sooyoung the television and watched her favorite show, Music Bank. Her favorite group, Teen Top had just started their performance at that time. She checked whether Myungsoo saw her or not. When she’s sure that he won’t see her, she danced along with her idol. When she had finished, she sat on the sofa and control her breathing. Suddenly, she heard someone sniggered from the kitchen.

 

“Yah, is that what you always do when you think people are not watching?” asked Myungsoo. Her face turned red. She quickly ran into her room. Even when she’s in the room, Myungsoo’s laughter could still be heard. She covered her ears with the pillows. 10 minutes later, someone knocked the door.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, the dinner’s ready. Come down and eat,” said Myungsoo. She hesitated. “If you don’t come out in five seconds, I’ll eat your food. One, two, three-”

 

“Arasso, arasso, I’ll come out,” said Sooyoung. She opened the door. Myungsoo smiled. He walked downstairs, followed by Sooyoung. Myungsoo started humming No More Perfume On You, the song that Sooyoung was dancing to before. “Yah, are you trying to make me angry?” asked Sooyoung angrily.

 

“I’m just humming a song. Why do you have to get angry?” replied Myungsoo with an evil smile.

 

“Why are you smiling like that?” asked Sooyoung nervously.

 

“Nothing, I just want to smile like that,” answered Myungsoo. He sat at the table and started eating. Sooyoung was still standing. “Sit down and eat,” he said. She sat down slowly and started eating too.

 

“It’s good,” Sooyoung praised his kimchi fried rice.

 

“Of course it’s good,” said Myungsoo. At that moment, his phone rang. “Yoboseyo?” he answered the phone. His expression changed. “Is everyone okay?” he asked. Sooyoung went closer to hear who’s been calling. “Arasso, be careful. You can pick up Minwoo ajusshi too. It’s hard for him to come home in that weather. Ne,” he hung up.

 

“What happened? Who is that?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“My mother, she said the storm is coming from their way. They had to stop their journey and be late. She also tells us to be careful because the storm might hit us too,” explained Sookjeong.

 

“How about my father?” she asked.

 

“They’re stopping at his shop. There’s nothing to worry about him,” answered Sookjeong.

 

“That’s a relief,” said Sooyoung. She started to eat happily.

 

“How did you do that?” he asked.

 

“Do what?”

 

“Change your mood in an instant. Just now you looked upset and now you’re smiling and eating like there’s nothing wrong,” he said.

 

“I’m always like that. When I’m upset, all that it takes for me to change my mood is something that makes me happy. I’ll give you an example. Do you remember when I was upset when my house was destroyed by the fire?”

 

“How can I forget that?”

 

“Good. Now, can you remember when did my mood changed?”

 

“No, when did it change?”

 

“That night, you came into my room and brought my dinner along. I knew you did it because you have to, not because you want to, but I’m still happy because someone that always had a quarrel with me is taking care of me. I was very happy back then,” she said. Myungsoo didn’t say anything, but his heart was beating like mad.