Chapter 5

Can You Smile

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Kim Myungsoo. I’ve just moved back from Canada. I hope we can be good friends. Kamsahamnida,” Myungsoo introduced himself.

 

“There’s only one empty place. You can sit there, next to Sooyoung,” ordered Ms. Song. Myungsoo bowed before he went to his seat. He almost fell from his chair when he saw who’s sitting next to him.

 

“Yah, what are you doing here?” he asked.

 

“Since this is my class, what do you think I’m doing here?” said Sooyoung. Since the teacher had started the class, Myungsoo didn’t retaliate. Sooyoung didn’t even smile for the rest of the class. Just like what she said in the morning, she went to meet Ms. Song during the recess.

 

“No way,” said Ms. Song.

 

“Please, teacher. I can’t study when he’s around. He’ll definitely disturb my attention in class,” begged Sooyoung. Hyejung and Hyesoon only looked at her.

 

“You can’t change your class. The other classes are already full. You’ll have to bare it until the end of the year,” said Ms. Song. Sooyoung left the teachers’ room with a disappointed face.

 

“Mianhe, Sooyoung-ah, because we can’t help you,” Hyesoon apologized.

 

“It’s not your fault. You don’t have to apologize,” said Sooyoung. She sat on the stairs and sighed. “Why does it have to be him?” she asked herself.

 

“You’re not talking about me, are you?” asked someone from behind her. Sooyoung turned around. Myungsoo was standing there looking at her. She quickly stood up.

 

“Why do you have to appear in my life?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“It’s not like I want to appear in your life. When my mother told me about you, I thought I’ll be meeting a tall girl with a great and y figure. It turned out to be otherwise,” answered Myungsoo.

 

“Chogi, you don’t have to be that rude. You’re not that great either,” said Hyejung.

“Just because you came from Canada, that doesn’t make you have the right to insult people,” added Hyesoon.

 

“I don’t know if you know about manners, but it’s not polite to interrupt other people’s conversations,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Do you think the way you’re talking right now is polite?” asked Sooyoung angrily. The two girls held her arms to prevent her from doing anything stupid. He snorted and walked away. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

 

“I don’t want to waste my time talking to a stupid girl,” said Myungsoo without even turning around.

 

“I really want to kill him,” said Sooyoung.

 

 

Later that evening, a volleyball practice was held because the tournament was getting closer. Their coach, Coach Shin, gave them grave news.

 

“Because of yesterday’s injury, the doctor said our teammate, Lee Minsuk is not able to take part in tournament next week,” he said. All of the players started whispering to each other. Lee Minsuk was one of their best players. “But, you don’t need to worry, because we have just received a new player, and he was one of the best players in Canada,” he added.