Chapter 36

Can You Smile

 

“I said I like you,” Hyesoon told him the truth, but she didn’t dare to look at him. Sunggyu’s face didn’t show a good respond.

 

“Since when do you like me?” he asked.

 

“Since we started to become friends, about six years ago,” she answered, still didn’t dare to make eye contacts. Sunggyu let go of his skateboard. Hyesoon started to feel uneasy. Then, unexpectedly, Sunggyu hugged her. She was too surprised to do anything. Even Sooyoung and Hyejung were surprised.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Do you know how long have I been waiting to hear this?” he said in a very happy voice. “Komawo.”

 

“Wow, you two are really cool. Why don’t you two film a movie together?” Hyejung asked jokingly.

 

“Yah, you really want to die!” yelled Hyesoon and started to chase Hyejung around the park. Sooyoung laughed when she watched her friends acting like that.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, komawo, cheongmal komawo,” said Sunggyu. Sooyoung patted his shoulder.

 

“I’ll be happy when my friends are happy,” she said.

 

“You really need to change that attitude. How long are you going to make other people happy without thinking about your own happiness?” he asked.

 

“What are you trying to say?”

 

“Stop pretending and just tell Myungsoo that you like him. Is it that hard?”

 

“We can’t be together, Sunggyu, and you know it,” said Sooyoung.

 

“No, I don’t know that. All that I know is everyone has the right to feel happy,” Sunggyu said.

 

“I am happy. I’m happy because I have great friends, I’m happy because there are people who still want to take care of me,” said Sooyoung.

 

“But you’re depressed when Myungsoo is around. You’re depressed because you don’t want him to know about your feelings,” said Sunggyu. Sooyoung tried to leave, but someone stopped her. It was Woohyun, and behind him stood the rest of the boys.

 

“Sunggyu is right, you need to tell him before you turn into a crazy person,” said Woohyun.

 

“Don’t think about what his response is. Think about how relieve you will feel after you tell him,” added Dongwoo.

 

“Don’t be like me, Sooyoung. I used to behave like you before. I liked someone and I didn’t tell her about my feelings. When I saw her with another guy, you don’t know how difficult it was for me to live my life as I usually do. It’s okay if he didn’t like you, at least you won’t feel burdened after that,” said Sungjong. Sooyoung didn’t say anything. Then, she left them without saying anything and headed home.