Chapter 26

Can You Smile

Just like Mrs. Kim had said before, the storm really came. Myungsoo was lying on his bed reading a book when someone knocked his door.

 

“They couldn’t have arrived,” he said to himself when he thought his parents had come home, but it’s not them. “What are you doing here with all those things?” he asked. Sooyoung was standing in front of him with her pillows and blanket.

 

“Chogi, I know this sounds stupid, but can I sleep here tonight?” she asked.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“I’m scared of storm. I couldn’t sleep because I was too scared,” she said. At that moment, a loud thunder was heard. She was so scared that she hugged him.

 

“Yah, let me go,” said Myungsoo. She quickly let him go.

 

“Please, I’m really scared,” pleaded Sooyoung. He sighed.

 

“Okay, but don’t ever come to my side,” he warned her. “It’s lucky that I have a huge bed,” he added.

 

“Komawo, Myungsoo -ah,” she said. She even bowed a few times. She closed the door and went to his bed. He moved to the right side of his bed. “Mianhe,” she said.

 

“Just don’t talk and go directly to sleep,” said Myungsoo. He took his book and started reading.

 

“Do you have headphones and MP3 player?” she asked.

 

“Why would you need that?” he asked her.

 

“You told me not to talk and go directly to sleep. I can’t sleep if I can hear the thunder,” she explained. He gave her his MP3 and a headphone. She put it on and went to sleep.

 

“How did she sleep when she’s listening to full volume? Even I can hear what she’s listening to,” Myungsoo mumbling to himself.

 

*

 

It was already half past midnight when the Kim and Mr. Park arrived home. Everyone looked so tired.

 

“Anyone here wants something hot to drink?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

“Me!” answered the others. She smiled and went to make the drinks.

 

“It was quite scary, driving in that weather,” said Mr. Kim.

 

“You’re right. You should’ve have come home directly. I can still sleep in the guest room above the shop if I couldn’t come home,” said Mr. Park.

 

“Sooyoung will be worry about you if we didn’t come and pick you up,” said Mr. Kim.

 

“Myungjun-ah, go and check your brother and Sooyoung. If they’re still awake, tell them to come downstairs and have a drink with us,” ordered Mrs. Kim.

 

“Ne, omma,” said Myungjun. He went upstairs.

 

“I forgot. Sooyoung is scared of storms. I wonder if she could sleep in that condition,” said Mr. Park.

 

“Our Sooyoung is scared of storm? That’s very cute. Having two sons who never scared of anything is very boring. I really wish I can have a daughter like Sooyoung,” said Mrs. Kim. Suddenly, Myungjun came running from upstairs.

 

“What happened, Myungjun?” asked his father. He told them to follow him. They went upstairs. Myungjun brought them towards Myungsoo’s room and opened the door carefully. Myungsoo and Sooyoung were fast asleep on the bed. Mrs. Kim almost screamed because she’s too happy. Myungjun closed the door.

 

“I’ve already took a close up picture of them,” he said and showed them his handphone.

 

“Myungjun -ah, you are a genius. Make sure your brother doesn’t know about the picture,” said Mr. Kim.

 

“It looks like she seeks Myungsoo for protection,” said Mr. Park.

 

“What protection?” Mrs. Kim asked.

 

“She used to sleep with me whenever the storms attack. Since I wasn’t here just now, I think she sleeps here to erase her fear,” explained Mr. Park.

 

“Omma, appa, ajusshi, do you think hyung likes noona?” asked Myungjun.

 

“I don’t know, but I hope so,” answered Mrs. Kim.

 

“I’m still not comfortable about this” said Mr. Park.

 

“Are you still thinking about what you said before?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“Ne, I couldn’t stop thinking about it,” answered Mr. Park.

 

“Ajusshi, I know I’m not supposed to interrupt this conversation, but I really don’t want other noona except Sooyoung noona. Nobody understands me like she does,” said Myungjun. Mrs. Kim her son’s hair.

 

“Look, Minwoo sshi, even Myungjun doesn’t care about it. Why do you have to trouble yourself by thinking about it?” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“I’ve already consider you as my own family. Can’t we really become family?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“I really have nothing to say except thank you so much. By accepting people like us in your family is really a great honor to our family,” said Mr. Park.