Chapter 2

Can You Smile

Right after school the next day, Sooyoung headed straight to her boss’s house to help doing the preparations.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, eomoni,” she greeted Mrs. Kim.

 

“Oh, Sooyoung-ah! The party’s not yet started. What are you doing here?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

“I came to help with the preparations,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“You shouldn’t have to. You’re our guest,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“It’s okay. I’d love to help,” replied Sooyoung. She looked around. “Eomoni, where’s Myungjun?” she asked.

 

“He’s at the backyard with his father,” answered Mrs. Kim. Sooyoung went to the backyard. Mr. Kim and Myungjun were hanging the decorations.

 

“Noona, you’ve come!” said Myungjun when he saw her. He gave her a hug.

 

“Saengil chukahae. Here, present,” said Sooyoung. She gave him a big box.

 

“Wow, it’s big. Can I open it now?” he asked.

 

“Go on,” said Sooyoung. Myungjun opened the present. It was a glass chess set.

 

“Daebak! Noona, thank you so much,” said Myungjun happily. He went inside to show the present to his mother.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, you shouldn’t have bought something expensive. Just keep your money,” said Mr. Kim.

 

“It’s okay, aboji. It’s not that I can buy something for him everyday,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Why did you arrive so early?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“I want to help. It’s not like I have anything to do at home,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“You never know when to rest, right?” said Mr. Kim. Sooyoung laughed. “You should your eomoni. I almost finish this.”

 

“Ne,” said Sooyoung. She went inside to help Mrs. Kim. She helped preparing the foods.

 

Two hours later, she asked the permission to leave. Mrs. Kim told her repeatedly that she must come for the party that night.

 

*

 

Sooyoung felt relieved when there were not that much guests when they arrived. As soon as she arrived, she went to find Mrs. Kim. She found her at the kitchen.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo,” she greeted.

 

“Ah, Sooyoung-ah! You’ve just arrived?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

“Yes, eomoni. Can I help you with anything?” said Sooyoung.

 

“It’s okay, everything’s under control. Go and enjoy yourself.”

 

“Anieyo. I’ll just stay here with you. Is Myungjun having fun with his friends?”

 

“Yes, he is. I think he’s outside. Have you meet Myungsoo?”

 

“No, I haven’t. It’s okay. I don’t think he wants to meet me.”

 

“What do you mean by that? You need to know each other. He’s going to attend Woolim High.”

 

“You didn’t send him to Shinhwa? That school is much better for him.”

 

“Woolim High is closer to our house. He can go there by walking.”

 

“Is he going to be okay with it?”

 

“He’ll be fine. Don’t worry. I believe you’ve seen his pictures before.”

 

“Yes, but those were the pictures from two years ago. I think he’ll look different now.”

 

“He does. Will you excuse me for a moment? My friend had just arrived.”

 

“Of course, you don’t need to ask me for that.”

 

Mrs. Kim left her in the kitchen and went outside. She took a glass from the cabinet pour some water. She sat there waiting for Mrs. Kim to return. Then, she remembered about her father and went to look for him. Suddenly, a man accidentally bumped into her.