Chapter 11

Can You Smile

“Kwaenchana?” asked Myungsoo. He approached her. When she saw him, her crying gets harder. “Why are you crying?” he asked.

 

“I was so scared,” she said in her sobs. He checked whether she was hurt anywhere.

 

“You’re not hurt. Come, everyone was worried about you,” he said. He held out his hand to help her. She took it and tried to get up, but quickly sat down again. She groaned. “What is it?”

 

“My ankle,” she said. He touched her ankle and pressed it. She screamed.

 

“You sprained your ankle. Come, I’ll piggyback you,” said Myungsoo.

“It’s okay. I can still walk,” she refused.

 

“How can you walk in that condition? Just do as I say,” he said in a strict voice. She let him piggyback her.

 

“Komawo, Myungsoi-ah,” said Sooyoung.

 

“I didn’t do it because of you. If no one was worried about you, I won’t be doing this,” he replied.

 

“Still, komawo.”

 

When they had arrived home, everyone quickly asked Myungsoo what happened. When Myungsoo told them, Mrs. Kim hugged her. Then, she suddenly hit her son.

 

“Why did you hit me?” asked Myungsoo, annoyed.

 

“None of this would have happen if you wait for her until she finishes her homework,” answered Mrs. Kim.

 

“It’s not his fault. I’m the one who told him to go home first. He really wanted to stay, but I didn’t let him. It’s my fault, please don’t be mad at him,” Sooyoung lied. Myungsoo looked at her.

 

“You shouldn’t do that. I’m not going to be worried if he comes home late because he’s a guy and he knows how defend himself. It’s dangerous for a woman to walk alone in the middle of the night,” said Mr. Kim.

 

“Choesonghamnida, for making everyone worried. Cheongmal choesonghamnida,” said Sooyoung in a low voice. Mrs. Kim her hair.

 

“It’s okay. You should go and clean yourself,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“Sooyoung sprained her ankle when those guys put her down roughly,” informed Myungsoo.

 

“Then, you’ll be the one who will take care of her from home until she gets to school,” said Mrs. Kim strictly.

 

“It’s ok. I’ll be fine if I have a crutch,” said Sooyoung.

 

“I think the crutches that Myungsoo use when he injured last year are still in the store,” said Mr. Kim. Myungjun quickly went to the store to find the crutches. “Myungsoo-ah, go and take her upstairs. I’ll bring up the first aid kit,” he added. Myungsoo did as he was told. Mr. Park helped him.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, next time just come home with Myungsoo. You still can finish your homework at home,” advised Mr. Park.

 

“Arassoyo, appa,” said Sooyoung. They put her on the bed.

 

“I’ll cook something for you,” said Mr. Park. Before he left, he held Myungsoo’s shoulder. “Komawo,” he said to Myungsoo and left. Mrs. Kim appeared with the aid kit. She handed it to Myungsoo.

 

“I’ll help her clean up, you wait outside until we finish. Then, you can bandage her leg,” she said.

 

“Why do I have to do everything?” asked Myungsoo irritated. Mrs. Kim didn’t answer his question and pushed him outside.