Chapter 40

Can You Smile

“What if she doesn’t like me?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“Ooo… You do worry about that,” teased Sungjong.

 

“Don’t think about that. Just tell her,” said Sungyeol.

 

“I don’t know why, but I think she likes you too. It’s just that she doesn’t show it,” said Hoya.

 

“You think so?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“Yes, dude, we think so. She’s like a sister to me, I think I can tell when she likes someone,” said Sunggyu.

 

“Stop arguing and start confessing. Don’t waste your time,” said Woohyun.

 

“I’ll try. I don’t think I’ll be able to do it but I’ll try,” said Myungsoo.

 

*

 

That night, as usual, Sooyoung and Myungsoo were cooking their own dinner. After they ate their dinner, both of them sat in the living room and watched the television. Sooyoung felt strange because Myungsoo didn’t say anything when she changed the channel. Then, he stood up.

 

“I’m going out for a while. You want anything?” he asked. She shook her head. He left the house. Sooyoung felt strange but she ignored it. She kept watching the television.

 

Myungsoo took a walk at the park. When he saw there’s no one at the park, he laid down on the grass and looked at the stars.

 

“What should I do? I really want to tell her but I can’t bring up the courage to do it,” he talked to himself. Then, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

 

*

 

When he woke up, he looked at his watch. He’d been sleeping for almost two hours. He got up and went straight home. When he saw there’s been no light in his house, he began to feel weird. It was still too early for Sooyoung to sleep. He went inside and the living room’s lamps. He was very shocked to see the state of his house. Everything was messy and overturned. He called Sooyoung’s name for a few times. His worries began to rise. He ran upstairs and checked in each room. She was nowhere to be found. He went to check in the kitchen. Sooyoung’s hands were tied to the kitchen table and was covered with the duck tape. She was crying very hard.

 

“Oh, my God,” said Myungsoo. He ran towards her, untied her and took off the duck tape. He held her shoulders. “Sooyoung-ah, look at me. Did they do something to you?” he asked. Sooyoung couldn’t answer. She kept on crying. “Sooyoung-ah, tell me. What have they done to you?” he asked again.

 

“Myungsoo -ah, I’m not a anymore. They’ve me,” she answered in her sobs. He looked at her in the eyes and wiped her tears. Then, he hugged her tightly in his arms. She continued to cry in his arms. He her hair and patted her.

 

“It’s okay, Sooyoung. I’m here, I’ll take care of you. Don’t worry,” he said in her ears.