Chapter 20

Can You Smile

 

“How can you be my friend now when I’ve already assume you as my friend?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Well, you can just… wait a minute. Did you just said you’ve already assume me as your friend?” asked Myungsoo. She nodded.

 

“When you helped me that night, I really felt grateful towards you that I promised to myself that no matter what happen, I will always assume you as my friend,” said Sooyoung.

 

“How can you made that promise when I didn’t even treat you well enough?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“My mother always says, whoever that helps you is your friend, no matter whom they are and where they come from. I’ve been holding on to those words all these times,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Komapta, Sooyoung-ah. I can’t promise that I’ll never talk roughly to you again, but I’ll try my best to become a good friend,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Why can’t you promise you won’t talk roughly towards me again? Does that mean you’ll still treat me like before?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I think it will be hard for me to change because I’ve been talking to you that way since we first met,” answered Myungsoo.

 

“This jerk… Fine, you’ll sleep here alone tonight,” said Sooyoung angrily. She got up and left.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, Sooyoung-ah!” he called, but she ignored him.

 

 

When he woke up the next morning, he was surprised to see Sooyoung was sleeping next to him. It seemed like she’s been there the whole night. Myungsoo smiled to himself. When she started to move, he quickly closed his eyes.

 

“It’s morning already. Myungsoo -ah, wake up,” she removed the sands from his body. “Hurry, wake up,” she said.

 

“It’s already morning? That’s quick,” said Myungsoo. He also removed the sands. “Where did you sleep last night?” he asked.

 

“In the tent, of course. Do you really think I’ll sleep here with you?” she replied. Myungsoo smiled. When all the sands had been removed, Myungsoo stood on his feet.

 

“It’s so good to get out from the sand,” he said. “It’s time for cleaning up!” he shouted. Sooyoung screamed when Myungsoo lifted her on his shoulder and ran towards the water.

 

“What happened? Who screamed?” asked Mrs. Kim as soon as she heard the scream. When she saw Myungsoo and Sooyoung in the water, she smiled. Mr. Kim stood next to her.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asked his wife.

 

“Look at those two. They look so perfect together,” answered Mrs. Kim. Both of them smiled.

 

“You really going to pay for that,” said Sooyoung. She jumped on his back and wrapped her arms around his neck.

 

“Yah, Sooyoung-ah, let go off me,” said Myungsoo. They struggled for quite a long time. Myungsoo finally got hold of Sooyoung’s hands. He unwrapped them and turned around. Their faces were very close to each other. They looked at each other in the eyes. At that moment, a big wave came. Myungsoo hugged her to avoid her from being dragged by the wave.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked.

 

“Ne, komawo,” answered Sooyoung. Everything started to feel so awkward.

 

“Noona, try and catch me!” yelled Myungjun. He splashed the water towards her and ran away.

 

“Yah, Myungjun -ah. Don’t run!” she started chasing him. Myungsoo was still standing at the same spot.

 

“Why did I do that?” he asked himself and threw himself in the water. When he was floating himself in the water, he heard Myungjun screaming.

 

“Hyung, noona is drowning! Hurry up and save her, hyung,” he yelled.