Chapter 30

Can You Smile

 

Mr. Park was still unconscious when they arrived. The doctor said his injuries were too serious. Sooyoung stayed at her father’s side all the time. Mr. and Mrs. Kim were discussing with the doctor outside the room.

 

“Even though the surgery went well, I’m afraid that Mr. Park chance to recover is thin,” said the doctor.

 

“What do you mean, doctor?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“He’s in a very critical condition now. He might not be able to make it,” said the doctor.

 

“What are you saying?”  Asked Sooyoung who suddenly came out from the room.

 

“Sooyoung-ah,” called Mrs. Kim.

 

“He didn’t have any chance at all?” she asked the doctor again.

 

“I’m sorry, Ms. Park. I’m very sorry that I have to deliver this kind of message to you,” said the doctor. He gave a pat on her shoulder before he left. Sooyoung fell on the floor.

 

“Sooyoung-ah,” shouted Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Myungjun and Myungsoo also went closer to her.

 

“I’m fine. I just need too spend some time all by myself,” she said and went into the room.

 

“Honey, what should we do? What if she lost her father too?” asked Mrs. Kim to her husband. All that they can do was waiting.

 

Sooyoung held her father’s hand tightly. Her tears were streaming down her face. She looked at her father’s face.

 

“Appa, do you remember when you told me you will have a holiday with me when I’ve graduated? You also want to go fishing with me. We’ll catch big fishes and eat them together,” said Sooyoung. “Appa, hurry up and open your eyes. Once you’ve recovered, we’ll go fishing together. Please, wake up. You can’t leave me like this. I don’t anyone else except you,” she sobbed. At that moment, Mr. Park opened his eyes. “Appa,” she called.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, you’ve arrived,” said Mr. Park. “Mianhe, my child. Cheongmal mianhe,” he added.

 

“Why are you apologizing?” she asked.

 

“I apologized because I can’t be with you any longer,” he said.

 

“Appa, don’t say that,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, if you love me, you have to let me go. I can’t go peacefully if you keep holding on to me,” said Mr. Park.

 

“Appa,” that’s all that she could say.

 

“Minwoo-ya, why are you saying that to your daughter?” asked Mr. Kim.

 

“Taesung sshi, thank you for everything. Please take care of Sooyoung for me,” said Mr. Park. She looked at Mrs. Kim. “I know you love her like she’s your own daughter. Please take care of her,” he said. Mrs. Kim nodded. “Myungsoo -ah, come here,” he called Myungsoo. Myungsoo went closer to him. “Myungsoo -ah, you always is Sooyoung’s life saver. Don’t stop being her life saver. She may look tough, but she really needs protection from other people. She’s afraid of storm, so make sure you always with her during the storm.”

 

“Ne, aboji. I’ll take good care of her,” promised Myungsoo.

 

“Appa, please don’t go,” said Sooyoung. Mr. Park gave her a smile.

 

“Can my lovely daughter give a beautiful smile for the last time?” asked Mr. Park. She shook her head. Mr. Park pinched her cheek.

 

“Appa, it hurts,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Aigoo, you look very cute,” said Mr. Park. She smiled. “See, you’re smiling now,” he said.

 

“Appa, if you meet omma, tell her that I miss her so much,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Arasso, I’ll tell her,” he said. He looked directly into her eyes. “I love you, my child.” Then, his hand fell from her grasp. She closed his eyelids with her hand.

 

“I love you too,” she said. She put her head on his chest and cried as hard as she could. Myungsoo went to her and hugged her tightly. She cried in his arms. “I don’t have anyone else in this world anymore. I don’t have anyone, Myungsoo -ah,” she sobbed.

 

“You still have us. We’ll take care of you,” he said. “I’ll take care of you, Sooyoung-ah.”