Chapter 17

Can You Smile

 

“Noona, is your ankle okay now?” asked Myungjun.

 

“Ne, because I want to play with you today, I practiced very hard last night. Now I can walk without using the crutch anymore,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Next time, we should bring your friends along. It will be merrier,” said Myungjun.

 

“Okay, next time, I’ll ask them to come along,” said Sooyoung. Both of them played happily together.

 

Not far from them, someone was watching their behaviors with a broad smile. Myungsoo was very happy to see his brother’s smile and it’s all because of Sooyoung. When he remembered what Myungsjun said last night, his smile vanished. At that time, someone touched his shoulder.

 

“Why didn’t you join them?” asked Mrs. Kim.

 

“They won’t be happy like that if I’m there,” answered Myungsoo

 

“Why are you trying to hide it?” she asked her son.

 

“Hide what?”

 

“Your true feelings towards her. I know you’re treating her coldly on purpose. That’s not how my son behaves normally. Why did you do it?”

 

“I don’t have any feelings towards her,” said Myungsoo defensively.

 

“You’re talking to a woman who had been carrying you for 9 months in this belly. Do you think I’m not going to be able to tell what’s on my son’ mind?” asked Mrs. Kim. Myungsoo sighed.

 

“It’s not that I like her. It’s just I think she’s a very good person and I want to know her, but my ego is not letting me to do it,” said Myungsoo. She smiled.

 

“You’re the only one who can turn off your ego, honey. Nobody else can. It’s up to you whether you want it or not,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“Do you think she’s willing to be my friend?” asked Myungsoo.

 

“She’s better than you thought. I know you’re hesitating because you’ve said something that might have made her angry or hurt, but Sooyoung’s not a person that keep things to her heart, unless it’s something very serious. She will be delighted to have you as her friend,” said Mrs. Kim. She left him. He looked at Sooyoung and his brother. He decided to ask her that night.