Chapter 14

Can You Smile

 

When all of them were having dinner, Mrs. Kim gave them a very surprising news.

 

“Kids, tomorrow, we’ll go for two days one night camping at the beach,” she said.

 

“What? Then, how about school?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ve already settled that. All you have to do is bring your swimming suit and your personal belongings. I will prepare all the foods and other equipments,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“It’s been a long time since we last go for a camping together,” said Myungjun.

 

“What’s better now was Sooyoung is with us. I’m sure it will be a very great outing,” said Mr. Kim. Sooyoung smiled.

 

“What’s the different? It’s not like she’s in a condition that can have fun,” said Myungsoo. Sooyoung looked at her rice bowl.

 

“Yah, why are you being like this?” asked Mrs. Kim angrily. Sooyoung got up from her seat.

 

“I’ve done eating,” she said in a sad voice and went upstairs. Myungsoo acted like nothing happened. Mrs. Kim was so angry that she took away his rice.

 

“If Sooyoung didn’t finish eating, you won’t be eating too,” she said.

 

Sooyoung opened the chest and looked at her mother’s possessions. She took out the dress that her mother wore on the night before the accident and wore it. The dress perfectly fitted her. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and smiled.

 

“I really looked like omma. My eyes, my lips, and even my figure, only my nose looks like appa’s,” she said to herself and chuckled. “Yah, Park Sooyoung, why are you being so weak? Why do you have to depend on other people that much? Get a grip of yourself. Myungsoo may have said that you’re not a burden to him, but can’t you notice that he’s acting otherwise? Let go of the crutch and start walking on your own,” she said to her reflection. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She repeated it a few times and opened her eyes. She put aside the crutch and started walking slowly. Every step that she took a step with her right foot, she will groan, but she ignored the pain. She kept on walking around the room. She always fell but she stood back up with a more determine expression on her face.

 

Myungsoo had been watching her for a while. He even heard what she said when she stood at the mirror. Whenever she fell, he wanted to go inside and help her, but his ego was much too high for him to do that. Finally, he decided to go to his room. He was surprised to see Myungjun on his bed.

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked. He sat next to his brother.

 

“Hyung, can I ask you something?” asked Myungjun.

 

“Ask away,” said Myungsoo.

 

“What do you think about Sooyoung noona?” he asked.

 

“Why are you asking about her?”

 

“That’s not the answer for my question.”

 

“She’s clumsy, noisy, and always makes things difficult,” said Sookjeong.

 

“Don’t you think you’re being too rude to her?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“If you want to know, we always talk about you whenever we have time. She used to talk bad about you, but after you bring up the food for her when she was still sad about her house, she had been saying good things about you. How you are very affectionate, how you take care of her, how you’re willing to piggyback her when she was injured, and how she wished for you to be her friend, alongside with her other friends. All that I’m trying to say was, I didn’t know where my brother is now. My brother who always is nice to people, my brother who’s always happy to help other people, and my brother who’s always thinks about other people before himself,” said Myungjun.Myungsoo was startled to hear his words. Myungjun had never said things like that to him before. Myungjun left his brother. Myungsoo lay on the bed and thought about what Myungjun said to him. Did Sooyoung really say all that?