Chapter 1

Can You Smile

Park Sooyoung was a very lively person. She knew how to make people around her smile. Even though she’s not from a rich family, she still could live happily with her father. Her mother passed away when Sooyoung was seven. Her father, Mr. Park Minwoo, owned a small udon shop. Whenever she had free time, she always helped her father at the shop. Everyone at the neighborhood knew her. She’s not like other girls at her age who always hang out with their friends or went shopping. Everyday after school, she will work part time at a convenient store. Even the owner of the shop, Mr. Kim Taesung, had assumed her as his own daughter. Every weekend, he will invite Sooyoung and her father to his house and have a dinner together with his wife and son.

 

At school, she one of the smartest in her class. She’s also good in sports such as volleyball, netball, tennis and swimming. She has two best friends who will always be by her side whenever she’s in trouble, Lee Hyesoon and Hwang Hyejung. Both of them were also swimmers, volleyball and netball players. They had also started to join the school’s tennis club so that they can be with Sooyoung.

 

 

The three girls were on their way home after finishing their volleyball practice. They discussed about the coming volleyball tournament.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, do you think we have a chance to win this year?” asked Hyejung.

 

“Even if we didn’t have a chance, we need to do our best,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Yah, Hyejung-ah, don’t you know Sooyoung? When it comes to sports, she will try her very best no matter what happen,” said Hyesoon. They laughed together.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, you said your father is sick. Is he okay now?” asked Hyesoon.

 

“He’s fine now. Don’t worry,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“If there’s something wrong with him, tell us quickly. We can ask our parents to send him to the clinic,” said Hyejung.

 

“It’s okay. I can bring him to the clinic,” said Sooyoung.

 

“You are so stubborn, do you know that?” said Hyesoon angrily.

 

“Yes, I know that,” said Sooyoung with a broad smile. They had arrived at Sooyoung’s house. “Bye, see you tomorrow,” she said to her friends. The other two continued their journey home.

 

“Ah, Sooyoung-ah, you’re home. Come, let’s eat,” said Mr. Park. She gave a kiss to her father.

 

“Wah, my favorite ddokbokki. Komawoyo, appa,” said Sooyoung happily. She quickly sat down. “Appa, aren’t you going to eat?”

 

“I’ve already eaten. Don’t worry about me,” said Mr. Park. Sooyoung nodded and started eating. Mr. Park sat on the sofa and the television.

 

“Appa, Manager Kim invites us to his house tomorrow. It’s Myungjun’s birthday. He also said his eldest son is going to arrive from Canada tomorrow,” said Sooyoung.

 

“His eldest son? You mean Myungsoo?” asked Mr. Park.

 

“Yes, he’s going to come back and he’ll continue his study here, but I don’t know which school,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Maybe he’ll go to your school,” said Mr. Park.

 

“What? A transfer student from Canada is going to go to Woolim High? That’s impossible. He’s not going be comfortable in Woolim,” said Sooyoung. Woolim High’s students were like middle class students. Many kinds of disciplinary problems happen in that school.

 

“Then, where else he will go? That’s the closest school in our neighborhood,” said Mr. Park.

 

“He can go to Shinhwa High. That school is made for students like him,” said Sooyoung.

 

“How old is he?”

 

“If I’m not mistaken, Manager Kim said he’s 19.”

 

“If he really go to Woolim High, I think he will be in your class.”

 

“That’s the last thing that I hope to happen in my entire life.”

 

“Why? You’ve seen his pictures. He’s tall, good looking, genius-”

 

“And not to forget arrogant.”

 

“You’ve never even met him, how would you know if he’s arrogant or not?”

 

“Appa, that’s how it usually happens for someone who just came back from overseas, and suddenly need to study with people who are not even close to his level.”

 

“Whatever you said, sweetheart, but if he turned out not to be like you predicted, make sure you apologize to him.”

 

“I’m sure I don’t have to do that.”