Chapter 13

Can You Smile

“Sooyoung-ah, what happened?” asked Sunggyu when he saw Sooyoung came with a crutch.

 

“Just a small accident, don’t worry,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Don’t even try to ask why. We’ve been trying since this morning, but she wouldn’t answer us,” said Hyejung. They sat together. At that moment, Sunggyu saw Myungsoo who had just entered the café. He went to get Myungsoo.

 

“Myungsoo-ah, can you tell me what happen to Sooyoung?” asked Sunggyu.

 

“Why didn’t you ask her?” Myungsoo asked him back.

 

“She wouldn’t tell us, or else I wouldn’t have asked you,”  replied Sunggyu. Myungsoo told him what happened last night. “Komawo, chingu-ya,” Sunggyu said to Myungsoo. He returned to his place. Sooyoung was not there. She went to take her lunch with Hyejung.

 

“Where did you go?” asked Hyesoon.

 

“I went to ask Myungsoo about what happen last night,” answered Sunggyu. Before any of them could say anything, he quickly said, “I’ll tell you what happened, but later. Don’t talk about it when she’s around.”

 

*

 

Sooyoung and Myungsoo went home together. None of them said anything to each other along the way. They had been walking none stop for 15 minutes.

 

“Choesongheyo, but can we stop for a while?” asked Sooyoung. Myungsoo didn’t say anything, but he stopped walking. Sooyoung leaned on the wall of one of the houses. She looked very tired. Myungsoo approached her. Without warning, he took her arms and lifted her on his back. “What are you doing?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“If you walked with the speed like before, it will be night when we reach home. Just stay put and be quiet,” he answered. Sooyoung didn’t say anything. She was so embarrassed because in no time, she had become a burden to other people.

 

He himself didn’t even know why he was willing to piggyback her when he had never even hug a girl before. Whenever he helped her, he felt like he had accomplished something good, but he didn’t understand why Sooyoung always says she was sorry. She didn’t do anything wrong. Maybe she felt like she’s making things difficult for him, but that’s not what he felt.

 

“Myungsoo-ah, I’m sorry that you have to do everything for me,” she apologized.

 

“Is sorry is the only word you know?” he asked.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Why do you keep saying you’re sorry? It’s not like you did anything wrong,” said Myungsoo.

 

“I always give you trouble. Isn’t that wrong?” she asked.

 

“Did I ever say you gave me trouble? I haven’t, right? So, what’s the point of apologizing?” he said. Sooyoung smiled.

 

“Does that mean I can make things hard for you always?” she asked jokingly.

 

“Yah, do you want to die?” asked Myungsoo. Sooyoung laughed loudly. He smiled when he heard her laughter.