Chapter 3

Can You Smile

“Yah, can’t you look where you’re going?” asked the man arrogantly.

 

“You’re the one who bumped me and now you’re blaming me?” she retaliated.

 

“It is your fault. Lucky that water didn’t spill on me. Next time, use your eyes,” he said and then left. She cursed him under her breath. She continued searching her father. Before she could find him, Mrs. Kim found her first.

 

“Come on, let’s meet my son,” she said, dragging Sooyoung to the kithen.

 

“Eomoni, I don’t think it’s necessary,” Sooyoung refused politely.

 

“Of course it’s necessary, you’re going to be schoolmates soon,” said Mrs. Kim. When they arrived at the kitchen, there was a man there, but Sooyoung couldn’t see his face because his back is facing them. “Myungsoo-ah, come here and say hi to Sooyoung,” said Mrs. Kim to the man. He put down his glass and turned around.

 

“YOU!” They shouted at the same time.

 

“You two have met before?” asked Mrs. Kim, confused.

 

“Yes, he bumped into me just now, but he blamed me,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“I didn’t. She’s the one who bumped me,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Okay, that’s enough. Now, I want you to forget what happen and be good to each other,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“That’s impossible. We’ll never be good to each other. She’s not compatible with me,” said Myungsoo.

 

“You’re not my type either,” said Sooyoung angrily.

 

“I said that’s enough!”

 

 

“Is he really that bad?” asked Hyejung when Sooyoung told them about Myungsoo.

 

“He’s the worst guy that I’ve ever met. Even our students are better than him,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“What will you do if he’s positioned in our class?” asked Hyesoon.

 

“I will ask Ms. Song to change me to other class,” answered Sooyoung. Ms. Song was their class teacher.

 

“You won’t do that, will you?” asked Hyejung.

 

“Of course I will,” answered Sooyoung. Hyejung and Hyesoon sighed. The bell had rang as a sign for the students to enter their classes. The three girls went to their class. They waited for the teacher to appear. 5 minutes later, Ms. Song entered the class.

 

“Good morning, students,” she greeted.

 

“Good morning, Ms. Song,” they replied.

 

“Today, we will have a new student, so I want each and every one of you to be good to him,” said Ms. Song. Hyejung and Hyesoon looked at Sooyoung who was sitting behind them. Her face looked terrible. As soon as the new face entered the class, Sooyoung put her head on the desk. It was indeed Myungsoo. “Myungsoo, please introduce yourself,” said Ms. Song.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Kim Myungsoo. I’ve just moved back from Canada. I hope we can be good friends. Kamsahamnida,” Myungsoo introduced himself.