Chapter 23

Can You Smile

Sooyoung told her friends about their plan to go to outdoor water park that weekend.

 

“Who else are going with us?” asked Hyejung.

 

“Myungjun and Myungsoo, and I also think about asking the boys to come too,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“Myungsoo is coming too? Is it going to be okay?” asked Hyesoon.

 

“Kwaenchana, he’s fine now. Well, he might not talk nicely to me, but we’re okay. He even asked me to be his friend, so as all of you,” answered Sooyoung.

 

“He wants to be our friend?” asked Hyejung to confirm.

 

“Yeah, I want to be your friend. Is there anything wrong with it?” said Myungsoo who just arrived. He sat at his chair.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with it. I’m just curious because you never even spoke nicely to us, and yet you want to become our friend,” said Hyesoon.

 

“I’m afraid I might not be able to speak nicely to you for now. I need some time to change,” said Myungsoo.

 

“Why not? If you want to be our friend, you have to talk in a proper way,” said Hyejung.

 

“Come on, you guys, it’s not that serious. Why do we have to fight about this? Even though I’ve agreed to be his friend, I still call him jerk,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Yeah, that’s right,” said Myungsoo. Then, he just realized what Sooyoung just said. “What did you say?” he asked.

 

“Well, it’s true. I called you a jerk last night, right? Don’t you remember?” asked Sooyoung casually. Hyejung and Hyesoon laughed. Myungsoo didn’t know what else he should say. “So, girls, will you come with us?” she asked her friends.

 

“Well, if Myungjun wants us to come, of course we’ll come,” decided Hyesoon. Sooyoung smiled.

 

“Komawo, chingu-ya,” said Sooyoung. Their teacher entered the class. Everyone fell silent. When the teacher was teaching, Sooyoung poked Myungsoo’s arm.

 

“What do you want?” he whispered.

 

“Want to play a game? I’m sleepy right now,” she whispered back.

 

“Sure, what game?”

 

“We’ll do rock, paper, scissor under the table. The winner will draw a face on the loser’s hand starts from the eyes, nose, mouth, face and hair. The first person who has a complete face drawn on the back of his or her hand will be the real loser,” she explained the rules of the game.

 

“Why don’t we make it more exciting? The loser will have to cook dinner for the winner. It won’t be that hard since both of us are living in the same house,” Myungsoo added. She made a thumb up to show that she’s in. They started their game without a single sound. Finally, Sooyoung won the game. She was so excited that she let out a voice.

 

“Park Sooyoung sshi, what happen back there?” asked Miss Lee.

 

“Nothing, teacher. I thought I saw a cockroach on the floor,” answered Sooyoung lightly. After hearing those words, all the girl students screamed and climbed on their tables. Even some of the boys did the same thing. The funniest thing was Miss Lee climbed on the teacher’s desk. Myungsoo pretended like he’s hitting something then picking it up with a piece of paper. He threw the paper in the dustbin outside the class.

 

“Don’t worry, it’s gone now,” said Myungsoo. Sooyoung, Hyejung and Hyesoon tried very hard to suppress their laughter. The class went back to normal.