08

The Girl Who Can't Break Up and the Boy Who Can't Leave

Seohyun's POV:

We sat down on the beach, about a 20 minute drive away from Myungsoo's mother's resting place. It was already 11 PM and by now.

This beach brought back memories along with everything else we did today. The salty mist in the air made me reminisce the times we were so in love with such great passion. I saw an image of us dancing on the shore of the empty beach with our jeans hitched up our legs, smiling and holding hands. Everything was so happy then...

"Mom really liked this beach," Myungsoo mumbled, looking over at me. I looked back at him, the cool wind making me slightly shiver and rustle my knotted hair.

"I think I would've really liked her," I told Myungsoo.

I recieved a nod in response. "You guys would've gotten along. I don't think she's very happy with me right now, though," Myungsoo layed down on the cold beach sand, the small grains of rock underneath him, "She would've scolded me for treating you so terribly."

I chuckled, "She'd understand."

"No. She'd probably disown me," Myungsoo looked up at me from his laying down position. I gently laid down next to him and put my hands on my belly. Myungsoo turned sideways to look at me with those beautiful eyes of his when I was settled on the sand.

There was a moment of peace while the song of the sea played in the background, waves crashing on the shore.

"Thanks," Myungsoo said.

"For what?" I tilted my head to get a better look at him.

"For coming," he responded.

"Oh. Well we do this every year, right? I kinda got used to it," I smiled.

Myungsoo nodded, "Remember that one year we tried to have a picnic out here and we left the food here for one second and the seagulls flew all over the sandwiches?"

"Oh yeah! And then you tried to get the food but they started to attack you!" I started to laugh remembering the good times we had at this beach.

"I thought they'd be scared of me like every other bird-"

"-Buuuut they weren't," I chuckled.

"Yeah... And after we went swimming we kissed on the beach. And on the sand. And in the car," Myungsoo smiled.

I felt my cheeks starting to turn red, "H-hey it was you that wanted to kiss me so mu-"

"I know," Myungsoo cut me off and left me quiet.

The silence surrounded us while the sand below us gently swept away due to the wind.

"We really loved... Didn't we?" Myungsoo whispered slowly.

I turned my head to get a good look at him.

I felt a pang of nostalgia in my heart. I wanted to nod. Yeah, Myungsoo. We really loved. We HAD unconditional love for each other. You were my everything. I felt as if even the world collapsed on my head, I would have no regrets as long as I was with you. I was ready to be happy with you forever despite the ups and downs we had. When I look back on the old us, its like looking into a long tunnel of happiness and the greatest compassion in the world. You showed me what love was and you were by my side... And even when you weren't, the fact that I trusted you so much made me convince myself that I was the only girl for you, just like you were always the only boy for me... even if I wasn't.

"I know I did," Myungsoo murmured. He gazed deep into my eyes and I felt myself tearing up. He didn't want to leave me and I sure didn't want to go. Everything just... happened to turn out this way. There wasn't much we could do anymore. We tried to love and it worked out- for a season. But the many moons after that were torture.

Myungsoo gently skid his hand over my palm with a glistening tear running down the side of his face, hitting the shore and making its mark on the sand.

"I miss you so much," Myungsoo regretted quietly, "I shouldn't have let you go that easily."

I felt one of our moments coming again. I felt like Myungsoo was going to hug me, kiss me, or do something- so I turned away and stood up, walking to the shore with Myungsoo trailing behind me slowly.

"What happened, happened," I said with a firm voice when we got to the edge of the water.

"I don't like what happened," Myungsoo's usual strong voice quivered.

I played with the chilling water with my toe, ignoring the growing pain and needles pricking my foot due to the cold.

"I don't either but I guess we can't change anything, right?" I looked over at him.

"I still love you."

And there it came. The blow. The hit. He still loves me?

"But I know you don't love me back," Myungsoo said, killing the diminutive balloon of hope in my heart, "I really want you too but I won't force you... Because you deserve better than me. And I feel like you'll shatter if I touch you."

"So I'll try not to love you," Myungsoo looked down at me, "But I hope you know that I'll always be there for you."

I'll always be there for you.

I'll always be there for you.

Even if Myungsoo didn't mean it; those words flew to the deepest, coldest part of my heart and made it warm. To have someone tell you that they will always be there for you is the best feeling. Especially if you love that person dearly.

Myungsoo gave me an awry smile that didn't fit his face and sighed, looking away from me. I didn't have the heart to reply to him.

We stared out into the vast waters beyond the blackness as the first beam of sun rose out from the horizon.

"Are you ready to go?" Myungsoo asked.

I nodded.

As we were leaving, I glanced back a last time at the beach I had grown so attached to and bid farewell to it, leaving my memories with the ocean once again.

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

merry christmas everyboddy! :)

thanks so much for the comments and subscriptions <3 they were super encouraging and i smile like an idiot while reading them ^________^

i hope everyone's having very happy holidays!

i am sorry. this update was short and crappy T.T but i wanted to update before i go on a retreat-thing. i won't have internet access for 4 days starting tomorrow :(( but i'll try to write during the retreat and update as SOON as i get home!

<3 한나.